Book suggestions

Finished Erik Larson The Splendid and the Vile about Churchill & his family during the early years of the Second World War and Blitz. The atmosphere of dread and danger, not knowing what would happen next, fits pretty well into the times we're in now. One woman describes losing all her books in a Nazi bombing raid, especially a rare collection of travel guides, but then says "anyway travel is over, like the rest of civilization." History echoing itself ...

HHhH - Laurent Binet
A very well written book which covers the build up and aftermath of the attempted assassination on Reinhard Heydrich. Fantastic read.

How to be an astronaut - Tim Peak
Fascinating read about life on board the ISS. Book for all ages really, some really great facts.

How to be a footballer - Peter Crouch
Very funny book, funnier than his podcasts with some great anecdotes

Chernobyl: a history of a tragedy - Serhii Plokhy
Explores the build up to the disaster including the impact of glastnost and perestroika with pressure to compete with the west on energy outputs to power the USSR. Covers the technicals of the reactor in a comprehensive manner.

The Secret Barrister.

It is excellent and gives people an insight a sector that most don't know about until they have to know quite a lot

Has it shaped your opinion of barristers/the Law ?

I’m good mates with a barrister and a lot of the points made in the book we have spoken about over the years but 2 things really stand out 1) the innocent tax I.e the costs but financial and emotional of going to trial as a defendant and 2) the lack of preparation time defending barristers get byway was of trial preparation

He/she also talks about government/media and the inflammatory language used particularly around Legal Aid

I will be buying the follow up when that comes out later this year

HHhH - Laurent Binet
A very well written book which covers the build up and aftermath of the attempted assassination on Reinhard Heydrich. Fantastic read.

How to be an astronaut - Tim Peak
Fascinating read about life on board the ISS. Book for all ages really, some really great facts.

How to be a footballer - Peter Crouch
Very funny book, funnier than his podcasts with some great anecdotes

Chernobyl: a history of a tragedy - Serhii Plokhy
Explores the build up to the disaster including the impact of glastnost and perestroika with pressure to compete with the west on energy outputs to power the USSR. Covers the technicals of the reactor in a comprehensive manner.
There are three really good books there. One of them is a total dichotomy. I wonder which!?

The Railway Children by E Nesbitt has just kept me company whilst out running over the weekend. A pleasant throwback to a bygone age when life was slower, simpler, innocent and happy, but not without its problems.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.