Book suggestions

Anybody read caught beneath the landslide? thinking of getting it for holiday next week but it gets mixed reviews on amazon??

I'm going to give "Armageddon" by Max Hastings a go which focuses on the fight against Germany during the last year of WW2. I find it bonkers Germany didn't surrender earlier and it's hard to fathom the needless loss of life. The war was pretty much over for Germany after the battle for Normandy given they didn't have much of an airforce left and the Russians were stampeding through Eastern Europe.

‘The truth about the Harry Quebert affair’ is excellent, even though the tv series was gash

Currently enjoying "SPQR, A history of Ancient Rome" by Mary beard.

Great read so far, was concerned at first as it isn't written chronologically but the format takes shape after the first 100 ages and begins to have a nice flow and sets the scene well. Mary Beard covers each angle for major events that took place, busting myths and backing probable outcomes. You could argue all day over events which took place during antiquity as there's very little evidence and accounts were usually altered in the favour of the Romans. It is baffling that the Romans managed to create a republic some 400 years BC, quashing the divide between plebeian and patricians yet the UK adopted a feudal system right up until 1600s.

I'm late to the party but Peter Hook's "how not to run a club" is a great read so far. I'm only a third of the way through but feel sorry for the members of New Order who were fleeced. That said, as suggested it drove them to be more creative with their music.

There's some laugh out loud anecdotes as well, the comment to Morrisey whilst the tube was being shot was brilliant.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.