Boro v City 40 years ago today.

I can see the current Mrs 91:23 old house on that picture of old Ayresome Park. I moved up here about 15 years ago now and Teesside isnt as bad as its painted by some on here. Like Manchester it has it's bad areas but Boro is a thriving town just as Manchester is. They still have their share of industrial areas up here but 5 minutes away is the North York moors to the south and stunning Northumberland to the north. I just wish they had a decent team up in the PL so that going to a match would only take me 15 mins rather than the 2 or 3 hour journey it takes me to get to the Etihad. For the avoidance of any doubt though...... Manchester will always be home!

Edit. They do like to mention the 8-1 though. Which is fair enough but the conversation doesnt last too long when I ask, 'So how is your trophy haul since then?'

lol , yeah, to be fair i was actually looking at images of Middlesbrough as a place on google images before, and it does look like the council there are making a real effort to improve the place, maybe they've been shamed into action as they've watched other towns and cities gradually improve .... and yes. without doubt the North Yorks moors and Northumberland have some very appealing scenery to take in.

Last edited:
I seem to remember being shot at by Barnsley from the station bridge as well.

Yeah, that 1-0 cup defeat that night at Barnsley was a bit dodgy , and especially on the way back to the station .... 35,000 fans were there that night and i swear half of them were probably trouble causers from either Sheffied or Leeds!

They were throwing bottles and bricks at the City fans under that bridge , and whilst we were on the platform.

It was pretty tasty up there in 74 ? We lost 3-0 & Willie Donachie was sent off.
Fighting all the way through the park and back to the station.
For the return at Maine Road City gave them hell in one of the best organized revenge violence ever.
Boro we're just battered every where. One of their coaches was set on fire,a minibus overturned & cars smashed.
So many of them were injured that the Chief Constable of Cleveland complained to his Manchester counterpart that local police didn't offer enough protection and turned Nelson's Eye.
That was the start of the really bad blood that continues to this day.

Scumbag shitehole of a town and club, would be happy to never see them in the top division again. Type of place where not fucking your own sister is frowned upon, cunts born with two heads, chicken parmo in one hand and a pint in the other.

Very grim in 1992, in the league cup, when we couldn’t see fuck all as it was so foggy. I’m sure they dumped us out of both cups that season.
That was my only trip to the old ground.

Think the game was only played as the ref didn't want to have to go back there. At times from behind the goal the edge of the penalty area was just visible, just crazy.
I do remember us cheering lots of times to suggest we'd scored to confuse their fans.

I was there in 1980. Sat behind the goals as previous visits were a bit dodgy. A win could have given us a bit more confidence and Big Mal might have stayed longer. Not sure if that would have been a good thing as John Bond took us to Wembley.

I also remember going NYE around 2005 or 2006 and we had a really low following. Was also one of the worst 0-0’s I’ve ever seen in my life.

I bet Maine road and shithole has been used a few times by away supporters, I wouldn’t have liked to be walking through them alleyways if I didn’t know where I was going

I bet Maine road and shithole has been used a few times by away supporters, I wouldn’t have liked to be walking through them alleyways if I didn’t know where I was going

Yep , the alleyways around Maine Road could be bit daunting for visiting supporters back then , and i've seen more than a few ambushed in them ... and especially back in the 70's/80's, when the 'Guvnors' were around!
mcfc94.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.