Bradford City Fire

My family on my mums side are all from Bradford my uncle was a season ticket holder but was on holiday for that game.
RIP to all 56 that died.

There but for the grace of God hey? Funny how events change the whole course of our lives. That was certainly a real lucky one for your Uncle. Thankfully.

Echoing those sentiments.

God rest all the men, woman and children lost through that horrific tragedy 35 years ago last month. And the young lad killed at Birmingham the same day when a wall collapsed on him during rioting with Leeds.

We'll never forget.

I remember one of the heroes of that day. Prof. David Sharpe who operated on many of the victims. He operated on me too when I had a cancer growing in my lip. I needed plastic surgery to avoid disfigurement. He did a great job, leaving me with just a slight lip curl. I can imitate Cliff Richard now. (One for the older members).
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-27145893

54 Bradford supporters and 2 Lincoln supporters.

The clubs commemorate each passing year with a small service or gesture but it tends to be overlooked by the footballing world in the most.

I remember one of the heroes of that day. Prof. David Sharpe who operated on many of the victims. He operated on me too when I had a cancer growing in my lip. I needed plastic surgery to avoid disfigurement. He did a great job, leaving me with just a slight lip curl. I can imitate Cliff Richard now. (One for the older members).
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-27145893

‘Heroes’ an oft used, and more often then not misplaced, term.

But when it comes to ‘heroes’ like that guy, it most CERTAINLY applies,

I caught Gabby Logan talking about this tragic day on BT sport recently (her Dad was Bradford City manager at the time I believe) so recorded the program. I haven't been able to prepare myself to watch it yet. RIP the 56.
I've watched it mate, very harrowing viewing, if I remember rightly Gabby Logan got out by the skin of her teeth.

I caught Gabby Logan talking about this tragic day on BT sport recently (her Dad was Bradford City manager at the time I believe) so recorded the program. I haven't been able to prepare myself to watch it yet. RIP the 56.

He was the coach/ assistant manager IIRC. He might still have been playing in ‘85 but don’t quote me.

The Leeds legend who’s name escapes me, and who sadly passed a few weeks back, was the man in charge back then.

He was the coach/ assistant manager IIRC. He might still have been playing in ‘85 but don’t quote me.

The Leeds legend who’s name escapes me, and who sadly passed a few weeks back, was the man in charge back then.

He was assistant with Trevor Cherry being the manager.

2 of the victims had been coach and player at the grassroots club that I am involved with. There is an award presnted every year to the U10's to a player in their memory.

When it was my lads age group we managed to get John Hendrie to present it who was involved as a player that day. Hats off to him as his speech was fantastic, I would have been in pieces.

He was assistant with Trevor Cherry being the manager.

2 of the victims had been coach and player at the grassroots club that I am involved with. There is an award presnted every year to the U10's to a player in their memory.

When it was my lads age group we managed to get John Hendrie to present it who was involved as a player that day. Hats off to him as his speech was fantastic, I would have been in pieces.

Trevor Cherry. Thanks mate. I couldn’t remember the name.

My Mum’s originally from Bradford and I’ll never forget coming through in the aftermath to visit a close friend of hers who’s sadly no longer here. (She was saved when some guy threw her over the wall of the stand onto the pitch only for him and her friend to be tragically engulfed in flames.). So we returned to visit her in the hospital. (Not the Infirmary. The other one you’ll have to forgive me for forgetting the name?). Anyway, we couldn’t go on the ward to start with as Hendrie, McCall, Peter Jackson and a few other players were going round those in that burns ward. Hendrie ended up coming out in floods. Always stuck with me. Along with when we did get to go in, I was tasked with (I was 12 at the time) putting paper clips onto every page of these paper back books as my Mums friends hands were that badly burnt she couldn’t turn the pages.

Horrific day mate which we’ll always remember.

God rest them all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.