Bradford City Fire

Vienna_70 said:
Immaculately observed minute's silence at Etihad yesterday.

Well done to everyone present.

Sorry, have to disagree. as much as i'm ashamed to say it about fellow "blues" groups of lads pissed up on the concourse singing/shouting etc during the minutes silence could be quite clearly heard from our end of south stand.

Shame on them for this.

Vienna_70 said:

"Well done" for what?

Do people really need praise for not acting like scumbags?

I love it when football fans are praised for their behaviour. Maybe it's just me but I don't need to be applauded for not being a sub human.

Compulsive Rambler said:
Vienna_70 said:

Sorry, have to disagree. as much as i'm ashamed to say it about fellow "blues" groups of lads pissed up on the concourse singing/shouting etc during the minutes silence could be quite clearly heard from our end of south stand.

Shame on them for this.

We could hear them in the CB as well, but to be fair to them maybe they were not aware that the silence had started. I think the club should also make sure that the announcements can be heard in the concourse and get the stewards out there to let people who haven't heard know.

Compulsive Rambler said:
Vienna_70 said:

Shame on them for this.

Wasn't audible elsewhere and on TV - which is the main thing.
If they didn't know about it - how can they observe it?

GaudinoMotors said:
Compulsive Rambler said:
Vienna_70 said:

Shame on them for this.

Wasn't audible elsewhere and on TV - which is the main thing.
If they didn't know about it - how can they observe it?

Exactly. This always tends to be an issue when there is a minute's silence - late arrivals who are still queueing up or are on the concourse won't necessarily be aware that the silence has started, I was towards the back of 116/117 during the silence and everyone who was in their seats observed it perfectly but from where I was I could also hear the general noise of people who were still on the concourse. They clearly weren't being ignorant or disrespectful. Those that came in from the concourse fell silent as soon as they realised.

A Bradford-supporting mate at work told me this morning that Manchester City was one of about ten clubs who sent a wreath. Ours was accompanied by a note of condolence.

MCFC - showing its class once again.

Meanwhile only one set of scumbags was unable to keep its collective gob shut for a whole minute to honour 56 people who died while watching a football match.

Eccles Blue said:
Compulsive Rambler said:
Vienna_70 said:

Shame on them for this.

We could hear them in the CB as well, but to be fair to them maybe they were not aware that the silence had started. I think the club should also make sure that the announcements can be heard in the concourse and get the stewards out there to let people who haven't heard know.
Heard something from the South Stand but not much. I think Eccles Blue is right in that they probably weren't aware it was happening. I've been to many games when a silence was held and the only one where the stewards at the turnstiles and on the concourses reminded the fans was at Wolves in 2002 a couple of days after the Queen Mum croaked.

stevemcgarry said:
LadislavMplmx said:
u2fme2 said:
I remember it very well,didn't we get promomted the same day.?
yea was the day we beat Charlton 5-1

Terrible, terrible thing to happen. I remember going to the Charlton game that day. I ended up meeting some old mates from Wythenshawe that I didn't normally go to games with and we were in the pub too long, got to the ground late and had to squeeze into the Scoreboard end just before kick off. It was rammed in there. I'd not been married too long and when I got home my wife told me about the moment of utter panic she'd had doing the ironing in front of the telly when they broke in with live scenes of the Bradford stand on fire and people in flames, staggering on the pitch, etc. Not being a big football fan, it took her a minute or two to ascertain that it wasn't the City game. A couple of weeks later we were in Spain on holiday , watching the Heysel events unfold on Spanish TV, unable to figure out what was happening because we didn't speak Spanish. This was in the days before mobile phones ... so there were no updates on phones to tell people about tragedies like this and people had no way of letting family know they were safe, etc. I suspect that people must have been frantic if they had somebody at these games and no way of getting in touch.

I remember watching it unfold on Grandstand at the time. Horrific. Wasn't the key thing that the gates at the back on one side were chained together and those who went that way perished?

Old wood stands and cigarette ends. Anyone remember the Dell? We went there on that rare away win when Stephen Carl scored a free kick and we scraped a 1-0. We weren't with the City fans in that away end that was about 8 seats deep, but in the stand to the side of it- upstairs - where we were also allocated.

It was so ancient it reminded me of a tudor mansion, totally wooden just like Bradford. No room to swing an ant and after the game took about 20 minutes to get out the narrow staircase. If someone had dropped a fag that day we would have had no chance at all and that did go through my head during the match - bearing in mind the Bradford experience.

Re: Was the Bradford fire deliberate?

Story in today's Independent that research was done at the time which showed that the chance of a stray match staying alight while falling through a gap then setting off a fire was minimal.

Amazingly Lord Popplewell's inquiry never really seems to have been made aware of this specific finding as there was a rush to gather evidence and the head of the Fire Research Service wasn't questioned for very long. That very much supports the theory that it may have been deliberately started.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/bradford-city-stadium-fire-new-evidence-casts-more-doubt-on-verdict-bradford-fire-was-accident-10213925.html?origin=internalSearch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... rnalSearch</a>

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.