Break down of the season 2019-20

When we were good we were very very good but when we were bad we were horrid!

Despite some great performances and lots of goals it hasn’t been a great domestic season for me by our standards.

The Bad:
Complacency set in. Not ruthless enough on and off the pitch. A poor summer transfer window. Didn’t replace Vinnie but instead gambled on two centre backs already in decline who weren’t trusted on the previous year’s run-in, and two extremely unconvincing options at left back. Zinchenko’s incompetence not only cost us games (Spurs, Southampton) but also the services of our only reliable CB for most of the season.
Scored a shitload and played some lovely stuff against the cannon fodder but lost three derbies, a quarter of all our league games and our record against the other top six sides declined dramatically.
Semi final display against Arsenal was a weak and timid surrender which once again suggested signs of mental frailty when we don’t score first.
The good:
Won another trophy. Another century of goals. Individual achievements by Kev, Ederson, Raheem.
The further emergence of Foden and Garcia and debuts for Tommy Doyle and Taylor Harwood-Bellis.
Some brilliant team and individual performances. Spanking Liverpool suggests we have the tools to regain it next year.
The final year of watching David Silva in a City shirt. Watching the new best midfielder in the world rampaging through this league.
Biggest positive and biggest result, however, was undoubtedly the CAS verdict. Can’t be underestimated how important this will be for the club. I’m sure it can’t have helped the mood among the players. I’m confident that getting this monkey off our back will re-energise everybody. Drawing a line under this and a good summer transfer window, this time addressing the flaws and holes in the squad, will put us back on top

The point gap doesn't tell the full story, there isn't much to choose between us and Liverpool, they were just more consistent which is needed to win a title.

For me the key factors are as follows;

Not replacing Kompany.
Laporte injury.
Having to play Fernandinho out of position.
Loss of form for Stones, Otamendi and Bernardo.
VAR decisions.
Liverpool's incredible form.

You can't win the title every year and when you consider we finished 2nd (with a huge points gap over 3rd), won the league Cup, scored the most goals and kept the most clean sheets it shows we don't need to do anything drastic. A few tweaks in summer and I am sure next season will be a lot closer.

It may get even better yet if we win the Champions League!

Last edited:
say what you want but 100 points and a 19 point gap piss on any team in the prem.

When another team, IF another ever beats it, let us know will you as it's not happening anytime soon.

The press are too bitter to state the facts, let them talk and text shite and let them polish the turd that is Liverpool.

Centurions.
Fourmidales.

Nuff said.

Another year the point total is closer, another that point total wins it.

We have set the bar and challenge and Liverpool accepted it and deserved their title.

They have won it being more consistent at beating the other teams and have not challenged in other comps, even when it was obvious they had won it.

They are not a better team.

We have had a good season, just disappointing due to the ridiculous standards that have been set.

What this team has done over 3 seasons is immense

say what you want but 100 points and a 19 point gap piss on any team in the prem.

When another team, IF another ever beats it, let us know will you as it's not happening anytime soon.

The press are too bitter to state the facts, let them talk and text shite and let them polish the turd that is Liverpool.

Centurions.
Fourmidales.

Nuff said.

the 100 point season is going to be hard to beat ? if you break it down 31 wins 7 draws out of 38 games is needed that's is some going

I think the 3 big things this season that hampered us are as follows:

1) Less fight: We had difficulties aplenty during the two title winning campaigns. When things went wrong we dug our heels in and fought. When we were struggling to score we kept going and made sure not to concede when things were tough. When we had things to aim for we worked hard to get them. The run in last season and the 100 points the season before were testament to that. This season it's not been there. Too many times our heads have dropped when we concede. Too many times we haven't concentrated and made some stupid error. Too many times we've been wasteful up front when it mattered. Too many missed penalties. In big 6 games we got 24 points in 17/18 (and it could have been 27 if not for the home derby) and 25 in 18/19 (which could have been 27 if not for that penalty miss) to 13 this year (which at best could have been 15 if not for VAR). Chelsea (H), Leicester (H), Sheffield United (A), and Real Madrid (A) are the only times this season I recall us digging deep and pulling it off. I think a lot of things have affected it, but that's for another time. I believe losing Kompany's leadership may have meant some of these issues weren't dealt with like they should have been.

2) No Laporte, no backup: Our defensive record has been a lot better since Laporte came back. We've still had issues, but they crop up far less often in Laporte in the side. When we had Laporte, Kompany, Stones, and Otamendi, we always had at least 2 defenders that were on form. But with Kompany leaving, Otamendi ageing, Stones's head going, and Laporte getting injured, it meant we often had two centre backs you couldn't trust. Fernandinho tried, but all things considered we were asking for too much. The way we play, we're always going to concede the odd super dangerous chance. That's why when it happens you need defenders you can trust. We haven't had that, and it's no surprise some of the goals we've conceded have happened as a result.

3) No Sané AND Bernardo form nosedive: Sterling and Mahrez are both class. But Sterling got massively overworked at one point in the season and Mahrez's usefulness very much depends on what we're up against. But things just got too predictable in the end at times and not having any variety just gave defences easier times keeping us away from goal, and more time to figure out ways to deal with the press before we can switch it up.

2) should be dealt with now that Laporte's back with us hopefully signing at least one reliable CB. 3) should be ok if we sign another winger like Torres and Foden's emergence will help. The big worry is 1). Can we get our heads back in the game? I have faith. The only new issues going into the new season are can we rely on our two forwards to stay fit and do we have a means of replacing Silva. Not necessarily with a like for like, but just with someone who can keep the quality up. I suspect it's Bernardo's time to shine.

Other than that, the season has been the same as previous. Brilliant football, brilliant wins, and some brilliant performances from the team and players. We've still won a trophy at the very least, so we're still in the manner of winning. Rodri and Cancelo should be more settled, Mendy's getting games and the likes of Bernardo, Jesus, Laporte, Ederson, Sterling, Foden, and Garcia (and probably others) are all going to be more developed than they were a year ago. And we still have Aguero.

Shit season, every time we were pushed we squeaked. Apart from Atalanta and Real Madrid we didn't manage to overcome a serious team. I hope it change for us the rest of CL games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.