Break down of the season 2019-20

I don't think we won 3 games in a row too many times this year. Liverpool won 18 games in a row and the league was over during that spell because we couldn't keep pace with that.

When we're good, we're fucking incredible. When we're not at it, we got punished everytime, often through individual errors. Unfortunately there were too many games where we were not at it.

Just seen on twitter that Laporte played 15 league games this season and we kept 11 clean sheets in those games.

I'm optimistic about next season, and don't think we need to buy 7 or 8 players. Some corrections, but not wholesale changes.

I don't think winning a cup is a bad season.
This page isn't long enough for me to go through the bad seasons we've had in the past.

Weird world when uniteds season is succesful and ours is below par.

Simply put Liverpool managed to win more games. After winning 2 on the bounce in outstanding fashion we struggled with injury and form to have the same domination of the league as in previous years.

Liverpool's post lockdown form to me demonstrates they are not the mentality monsters they claim and I'd be surprised to see them get close to this seasons run. They settled for winning where we pushed for greatness.

Positives: we are still capable of incredible football and are blessed with unbelievable talents. We have a management team that wants to create era defining achievements and won't settle. This time and team will never get the recognition it deserves but we scored more goals than the greatest team in the world omg forever and only conceded two more whilst missing most of our left hand side all season. Henderson can't possibly repeat this seasons heroic efforts particularly whilst curing cancer and defeating space nazis.

In summary: expect a massive season next year

I think everyone knows that we didn't replace Kompany then had a shocking injury to Laporte who's simply our best defender. No team in Europe can handle losing players of this calibre. The club knew Kompany was going and I think they've realised they can't rely on Stones and Otamendi. We all know that Zinchenko is a great lad, but he's not a good player really - we wouldn't sign him now. We know Angelino isn't good enough and signing players on the cheap costs us. We cannot go into next season without quality players in defence. This will be corrected when Koulibaly and Ake sign, I'm sure of that.

We also didn't sign a striker. We only have an ageing Aguero and Jesus really and we lack someone who can give Aguero a rest. We desperately need a Plan B and without it, too many teams fancied shutting up shop and just defending and it worked for a lot of them. We just couldn't break them down.

Maybe the pressure and intensity of the last two years and the World Cup just caught up with the players?

I've complete confidence that Pep and the Sheikh will fix everything and normal service will be resumed next season!

I think everyone knows that we didn't replace Kompany then had a shocking injury to Laporte who's simply our best defender. No team in Europe can handle losing players of this calibre. The club knew Kompany was going and I think they've realised they can't rely on Stones and Otamendi. We all know that Zinchenko is a great lad, but he's not a good player really - we wouldn't sign him now. We know Angelino isn't good enough and signing players on the cheap costs us. We cannot go into next season without quality players in defence. This will be corrected when Koulibaly and Ake sign, I'm sure of that.

We also didn't sign a striker. We only have an ageing Aguero and Jesus really and we lack someone who can give Aguero a rest. We desperately need a Plan B and without it, too many teams fancied shutting up shop and just defending and it worked for a lot of them. We just couldn't break them down.

Maybe the pressure and intensity of the last two years and the World Cup just caught up with the players?

I've complete confidence that Pep and the Sheikh will fix everything and normal service will be resumed next season!

perfect summary

In 3 seasons
303 goals
279 points

has any team ever beaten this
Barcelona from 2009-2012 got 286 points with 307 goals.
Barcelona from 2010-2013 got 287 points with 324 goals.
Barcelona from 2012-2015 got 281 points with 325 goals.
In fact this is the first season they haven't had at least 270 points over 3 seasons since 07-10. There have been a few 3 year spells where they've outscored us.

Real Madrid from 2009-2012 got 288 with 325 goals. They scored over 100 goals for 8 consecutive seasons from 2008-2017, and then 94 the next season.

La Liga's money disparity + Head-to-Head system maybe helped here.

Juventus from 2014-2016 got 280 points but scored way fewer.

If there's more I don't know. It's possible Bayern have had a better point + goal average over a 3 year spell since their treble season onwards.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.