Breaking records/stats thread

Biggest home win: 9-0, Manchester United vs Ipswich Town (4 March 1995)

Biggest away win: 1-8, Nottingham Forest vs Manchester United (6 February 1999)

There is no doubt in my mind that we could have beaten someone 10-0 at the Etihad last season if we really wanted to.

yeah i agree, but i think there are 2 or 3 main factors here;
1 - Pep is big picture, he knows that when youre beating someone 4 or 5 nil then you have a free ticket to take your foot off for 25 mins and consider the coming games. add this up over multiple games.
2 - i think, but dont know, there's a bit of a 'honour' thing going on among managers where most of them dont want to completely humiliate the other, and ease off at 4 or 5, with the odd extra going in sometimes.
3 - simply psychology, teams 7 players just ease off when the job is done, they rarely expend energy totally needlessly

1 - Pep is big picture, he knows that when youre beating someone 4 or 5 nil then you have a free ticket to take your foot off for 25 mins and consider the coming games. add this up over multiple games.
2 - i think, but dont know, there's a bit of a 'honour' thing going on among managers where most of them dont want to completely humiliate the other, and ease off at 4 or 5, with the odd extra going in sometimes.
3 - simply psychology, teams 7 players just ease off when the job is done, they rarely expend energy totally needlessly
Yep, that's why I don't think we'll ever score 10 under Pep. I guess we'll just have to make do with winning 7-2 instead ;-)

Yep, that's why I don't think we'll ever score 10 under Pep. I guess we'll just have to make do with winning 7-2 instead ;-)

I largely agree with you, however, I think what happens at the moment is we go 3 or 4 up and Pep makes a bunch of changes, he brings on Yaya/Gundogan/Bernardo who are noticeably down a level on their replacements (at least Gundogan and Bernardo were early on in the season) and the signal to everyone is that this game is won, ease off and relax.

As the team is managed by Pep for longer I think the level between subs and starters will get closer, and also we'll get players like Bernardo, Gundogan and Jorginho coming on and trying to prove themselves worthy of starting more. This year, first season, Bernardo was probably OK with sub appearances as he learned the ropes, next season he'll probably be more focused on using those sub appearances not to get used to the system, but to push for a starting spot - especially if there's a hint of vulnerability about Fernandinho or Silva's guaranteed starting spot because of their age.

Jesus has already started to show some real signs of being pissed off if he hasn't scored, even if we're 4-0 up like against West Ham, and I think Aguero is the same and others will follow that kind of mentality as the squad competition heats up.

Plus I think we'll just get better, and start opening sides up a lot more even at 70%. If the Premier League is like Germany or Spain, we might even see opposition managers take off their best players because there's no point tiring them out in a game they've already lost.

If you look at some of Pep's biggest wins -

9-0 vs. L'Hospitalet in the Copa del Rey.
8-0 vs. Hamburg in the Bundesliga.
8-0 vs. Almeria in La Liga.
8-0 vs. Osasuna in La Liga.
7-0 vs. Shakhtar in the CL.
7-0 vs. Rayo Vallecano in La Liga.
7-0 vs. Bremen in Bundesliga.
7-1 vs. Leverkusen in the CL.
7-1 vs. Roma in the CL.

Those aren't "lets not humiliate the opposition lads, 5's enough" wins. His teams have scored 6 goals or more 21 times by my quick count, I think he won't go all out to humiliate someone and run up double figures, but if after 4/5-0 he rests who he needs to, and the players create the opportunities, I think he'd want them scored - especially if someone is challenging us for the title and that goal difference becomes important.

If it is going to happen I'd imagine it'd be September-November though, when the team is fresh, sometimes there's only 1 game a week, and opposition teams are still optimistic about the season and try for 3 points rather than hoping to cling on for a 1 point because they're in the relegation battle.

Just seen a clip on YouTube, ederson is a Guinness world record holder for the longest football drop kick, 76odd metres

City end the season 3rd best team in Europe (and the World since no team outside Europe would get in top 20)

ECI has us 5th but Clubelo is more accurate.

We briefly went 2nd after beating Chelsea at the Etihad which is our highest of all time.

Just the two Spanish giants to reel in.

http://clubelo.com/

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.