Brentford (A) | Post Match Thread

Positive from the 3 dead rubbers this week:
No new injuries.
A lot of key players getting rested before the finals.

Negative:
Pretty much everything else, we played poor (by our standards) 3 straight games before 2 important finals, have probably lost a bit of momentum and rhythm at the most important time of the season.

Hopefully the positive outweigh the negative and the team comes out full of energy and back to their best when it matters the upcoming 2 weeks. But I would be lying if I said my confidence level before these finals have gone up after seeing our performances drop several levels in 3 straight games.

The only players that were disappointing for me—given the context of the game—were Mahrez and Gomez; the former because he didn’t look particularly arsed, the latter because he just doesn’t seem to be the required level (and he seems to be aware of that, which affects how he plays).

Otherwise, it was what it looked to be before kickoff: a training match for mostly fringe players, as most of our first team rest and recover.

I thought Foden looked fairly sharp (and didn’t get any help from the ref) and Laporte looked quite good generally. Phillips also wasn’t too bad, if not as imperious as Rodri, which is no shock.

And there were no obvious injuries, which was the main goal.

I understand the concerns about losing a bit of momentum and rhythm, especially given what happened in 2021, but I am sure Pep and the coaching staff are trying to manage fatigue and prevent injury and think that is priority over rhythm and match fitness.

We won’t know if that that was good gamble or not until next weekend.

For now, in Pep we trust.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.