Brian Clough to City ....?

Bluesince1979

Reading on an 80s FB footy page about a rumour that Brian Clough was on the verge of becoming City’s manager in 1980.
Ive some vague recollection of this but can’t remember where or when i heard/read it? Maybe i dreamt it ...

Anyone else got anything on this or shall i just go back to sleep ....

I remember a bit of a spat between Clough and Swales. Don't know what it was about. When Swales was asked about it during an interview on Piccadilly Radio, he claimed that Clough didn't know what he was talking about and that he had been in football a lot longer than Clough. What a prize cock Swales was.

He was rumoured to be joining a few clubs our brown envelope proberley wasn't big enough

I remember a bit of a spat between Clough and Swales. Don't know what it was about. When Swales was asked about it during an interview on Piccadilly Radio, he claimed that Clough didn't know what he was talking about and that he had been in football a lot longer than Clough. What a prize cock Swales was.

No prizes for Swales - he was just a cock!

He was rumoured to be joining a few clubs our brown envelope proberley wasn't big enough

To be fair that was the way the game worked back then. Players were just meat and managers moved them around for their own gain. Every club and manager was involved in some cash transfers in the 80's.

the thing is looking back at city from the early 70s swales was number 1 at the club and know matter who become manager you had no chance but to work with swales he had his hands on every thing and football was never left to the manager and coaches at manchester city, the documentary that granada shows it in full colour

Cloughie would want to run things his way. Swales wouldn't have the common sense to realize that.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.