Brian Clough v Don Revie programme after Leeds sacking

I read previously that Revie was superstitious to the point of paranoia, and worried endlessly about money, being very insecure, he won't have earnt a fortune at Leeds back then.

Brian Clough is hard to categorise could be very arrogant,, but both were very successful in their playing and managerial careers.

Clough's playing career was effectively ended at the age of 27, when he damaged his cruciate and medial ligaments in his knee. He attempted a comeback after two years, but only managed three games.

Of players with over 200 league goals, Cloughie has the best goals/game ratio of 0.916. That’s some return.

Review was part of the great City side of the mid '50s.

Probably got a lot to do with having a more vacuous audience sadly.......
Agreed. But it's a shame, apart from a few exceptions, that we get so little insight into what managers really think. The press conferences have become a total farce. They are shown virtually live on Youtube so we can see how stupid some of the football press really pack are. Most questions asked by the UK media are juvenile, often based on some preconceived angle they have got from Twitter.
The first question Jamie Jackson asked Pep in the Spurs pre-match conference harked back to last year when Pep called Spurs: "The Harry Kane team." It was a moronic stupid question and Pep treated it with the contempt it deserved. But when Pep talks to the foreign media he is often open, honest, passionate, and interesting. It is no surprise to me that our newspapers are dying on their feet and our sports broadcast channels (Radio and TV) are seeing big audience declines...during a period when football has never been bigger.

Tbh Clough in that video has a face and attitude you couldn't help but punch for a good hour at the very least.

Clough's playing career was effectively ended at the age of 27, when he damaged his cruciate and medial ligaments in his knee. He attempted a comeback after two years, but only managed three games.

Of players with over 200 league goals, Cloughie has the best goals/game ratio of 0.916. That’s some return.

Review was part of the great City side of the mid '50s.
Cloughie was a fine player but his goals were mostly scored in the 2nd division i think

our newspapers are dying on their feet and our sports broadcast channels (Radio and TV) are seeing big audience declines...

I hope that this is the case. I am sick to death of the media in this country: the biased reporting, the kowtowing to all things rags and dippers, and the thinly-disguised contempt they have for us.
I binned Sky 20/30 years ago, and BT about 5 years ago. I never buy a newspaper -especially a bastard tabloid- and I make a point of recording MotD or any televised game so that I can FF through the moronic soundbites from the likes of Danny Mills and others of that ilk.

MotD has fast become a parody of itself: almost like a 'Fast Show' sketch. It's about as bland and insipid as anything and everything that Philip Schofield has ever hosted, and Gary Lineker's phoney bonhomie, his feeble attempts at wit, and his totally insincere affability wear thin after a few minutes. As does the monotone droning of Alan Shearer.
The female commentators voices (and Jonathan Pierce's, to be fair) are bloody awful: shrill and eardrum-burstingly high-pitched, sounding like fucking Minnie Ripperton after she'd overdosed on helium inhalation.

MotD is tired and formulaic, it's an irrelevance that the BBC are too frightened to dispense with because of its long history and proud tradition of Saturday night football viewing.
But this is not the 60's anymore, we've moved on a bit since grainy, black and white images of Ena Sharples were first broadcast onto our TV screens.
I truly believe that if they got rid of Lineker and his 'pundit' pals and just showed the game (with an occasional subtitle, perhaps) and allowed us, the viewer, to form our own opinions they'd double the viewing figures almost overnight.

It's like the BBC itself: aged and decrepit, like the crusty, puss-filled labia majora of a haggard, toothless octogenarian - it's had its day.

A reenactment of this happens in the film The Damned United.
Revie played by Colm Meaney and Cloughie played by Michael Sheen.
Great football film for those who haven't seen it yet
That film had Leeds as champions in 1968

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.