Brian Horton

No it was real! I was stood on the Kippax before the Friday game against coventry when his name was announced and the word 'who' spread like a Mexican wave along the terrace
.I remember that. Also was he at the game as I seem to recall his photo in the press the next day. It looked like he was thinking “oh my god what have I done” .
He did very well under the circumstances.

The start of '94 season up to new year we saw really exciting football. I remember actually looking forward to going to Maine Rd to watch his City side. We fell away in the new year but still had that amazing win at Blackburn.
As a footnote, I remember footage of him at the swamp derby. The City fans were singing and he turned to, (I think Tony Book) to ask what we were singing. You could read the lips "fcuk off back to London."
I just mentioned that Blackburn game on page one, what a fuckin day. As someone else has said I think 2 or 3 good players short of a great side.

That last season cost us too when Coton was out for a few months.

Went to the first game at Swindon - went 1 down then Coton saved a pen - I think, them went on to win. I thought Horton was good. Lee sacked him because he thought he had Kiddo in the bag then Kiddo did a u turn and we ended up with bloody Ball - who was a disaster.

Bloody hell where has time gone. Remember coming out the Kippax to see a load of police running towards the maine stand. Thought it was kicking off with the away fans until another lad ran past shouting that there was a protest and fans were trying to storm the front entrance. Horton must have thought what have I done.

Always liked the way we played under him like others have said spurs, West ham and Blackburn were the last flickers of light before the bulb blew out.

Was it true that it was on his way into training that he heard that he'd been sacked or replaced by Alan ball? All the managers and cock ups we've had its had to remember which story belongs to correct person

Pre Bobby Manc that Brian Horton team was the most entertaining I had seen in the top flight and totally unexpected.

Remember us winning our first two home matches 3-0 and 4-0 and the 5-2 against Spurs followed not long after.

We were very close to being a very good side but I think Franny Lee did not enjoy the fact it was not his man who was delivering it.

Pre Bobby Manc that Brian Horton team was the most entertaining I had seen in the top flight and totally unexpected.

Remember us winning our first two home matches 3-0 and 4-0 and the 5-2 against Spurs followed not long after.

We were very close to being a very good side but I think Franny Lee did not enjoy the fact it was not his man who was delivering it.

Agreed.

Francis Lee,was then, is now, and forever will be a complete and total wanker.

City was his vanity project that he tried to do on the cheap.

Worse, much worse, than Swales.

Agreed.

Francis Lee,was then, is now, and forever will be a complete and total wanker.

City was his vanity project that he tried to do on the cheap.

Worse, much worse, than Swales.

Ha, I do not know about that but my impression of Lee is he had a huge ego.

It used to annoy me after presiding over a disastrous time in the clubs history he used to try and take credit for the loyalty of the support, as if he was influential in expanding our supporters base.

Also its funny that of all the players signed during his tenure he never failed to mention how signing Kinkladze was his choice but fails to mention any others from that period he signed. I wonder why?

Comes across as a top bloke and I have fond memories of the team he assembled. He signed players that went on to be cult heroes for a certain generation.

I used to go to the reserve matches with my Dad and sit behind the exec seats and was there the night of Rosler's trial. He scored 2 and Horton who was sat a few rows down in front of us, turned round at the end of the game and said "Do you think we should sign him?" ...13 year old me told him "definitely!!" and Horton said "OK...we will...but he should have had a hat trick!"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.