Brian Horton

The start of that 94/95 season was a great time to be a Blue. The 3-0 against West Ham and the 4-0 against Everton at the start of the season, and of course the 5-2 against Spurs. There was also the 4-3 League Cup win at Loftus Road, and the 3-2 at Ewood towards the end of the season. It was a great side that, with Beagrie, Walsh, Rosler, Quinn, Curle, Flitcroft etc. Horton always came across as a thoroughly decent guy, and always speak fondly of the club.

Always thought he was a good manager and he should have had longer. A mate said he saw him in Cheadle a few years back, as he lives in Macclesfield, and was passing through. Said he was a really nice fella and happy to chat about City.

Always remember having an City Umbro coat he used to wear as well. Fashion icon, in my eyes :-)

Kerningan...Was that an own goal. He was almost as bad as Kit Symonds if that was possible

Ha, no. Beat a couple of players on tye half way line and chipped the keeper from 30/35 yards against Leicester in the cup.

It was his one bright moment.

Seemed like a top bloke. Myself and my son ( then 13) had season tickets .Unknown to me , my son wrote to City to ask if he could sit along Brian in the dug- out during a game. The club wrote back to say that they couldn't allow that but could offer us free tickets for a match. I explained that we had season tickets. I was immediately offered a visit to the dressing - room before a game. So , on a wet Tuesday night before a game against Leicester, we arrived early and waited outside. We were soon taken into the ground and the dressing -room where we were met by Brian . He was brilliant. Having spoken to my son , he then introduced the players to my son ( not the other way round) and he positively encouraged interraction between them , The only thing to spoil our night was the 1-0 defeat -- but hey this was the City of old , what did we expect ?
I agree with the many on here who have praised his efforts to play attacking football - yep probably my favourite post- Joe Mercer-- pre Pep manager.
The only other time I saw him close up was some time later in the public waiting area at Manchester County Court- Didn't he sue the club in connection with his contract?

Seemed like a top bloke. Myself and my son ( then 13) had season tickets .Unknown to me , my son wrote to City to ask if he could sit along Brian in the dug- out during a game. The club wrote back to say that they couldn't allow that but could offer us free tickets for a match. I explained that we had season tickets. I was immediately offered a visit to the dressing - room before a game. So , on a wet Tuesday night before a game against Leicester, we arrived early and waited outside. We were soon taken into the ground and the dressing -room where we were met by Brian . He was brilliant. Having spoken to my son , he then introduced the players to my son ( not the other way round) and he positively encouraged interraction between them , The only thing to spoil our night was the 1-0 defeat -- but hey this was the City of old , what did we expect ?
I agree with the many on here who have praised his efforts to play attacking football - yep probably my favourite post- Joe Mercer-- pre Pep manager.
The only other time I saw him close up was some time later in the public waiting area at Manchester County Court- Didn't he sue the club in connection with his contract?

That game should have been called off, that rain was extremely heavy

As it turns out, from memory I was also in the changing rooms that game. I can't quite remember the reason why @cyberblue

As it turns out, from memory I was also in the changing rooms that game. I can't quite remember the reason why @cyberblue
It was your birthday I wrote to

As it turns out, from memory I was also in the changing rooms that game. I can't quite remember the reason why @cyberblue[/QUOTE
It was for your birthday.I wrote to Colin Barlow asking if we could go in directors box .So we got 4 tickets for the game and invited in changing rooms .Kieth Curle was Captain .your mum was poorley so Jackie came with us .Sean was there as well
We went to Dutch Pancake house in town as well
We were like drownd rats lol happy days

The start of that 94/95 season was a great time to be a Blue. The 3-0 against West Ham and the 4-0 against Everton at the start of the season, and of course the 5-2 against Spurs. There was also the 4-3 League Cup win at Loftus Road, and the 3-2 at Ewood towards the end of the season. It was a great side that, with Beagrie, Walsh, Rosler, Quinn, Curle, Flitcroft etc. Horton always came across as a thoroughly decent guy, and always speak fondly of the club.
I Met Brian on a few occasions and he was a true gentleman .He came to some of our supporters meetings and our 10th Aniversary Dinner .He was shit on by Franny Lee .he done a great job in very difficult circumstances .Whenever he on telly always speaks well of the time he was at City

When I was a student living in Stoke, he was guest speaker at our branch on one occasion.

We had a great evening with him.

After, I went for a piss, and Brian was already in the gents. He asked me if I’d enjoyed the talk and he came across as a really nice man.

As others have said, we played some lovely football under him. It was great to see Beagrie and Buzzer jnr. flying down the wings supplying crosses for Quinn, Rösler and Walsh. The 5-2 vs. Spurs was a fantastic example of our style during his reign.

Comes across as a top bloke and I have fond memories of the team he assembled. He signed players that went on to be cult heroes for a certain generation.

I used to go to the reserve matches with my Dad and sit behind the exec seats and was there the night of Rosler's trial. He scored 2 and Horton who was sat a few rows down in front of us, turned round at the end of the game and said "Do you think we should sign him?" ...13 year old me told him "definitely!!" and Horton said "OK...we will...but he should have had a hat trick!"

Nice story.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.