Brian Marwood.

My two primary concerns are these;
1/ The timing seems odd to say the least,
2/ Marwood has no history with Manchester City FC.
Could we not have found someone who at least played for us?

I almost found it quite odd reading a piece in a national newspaper that was neutral in it's approach and seemingly written without an agenda in place.

There are no direct quotes in the article but if correct it does iron out several issues:

Hughes is being consulted about all parts of the football side of the business. This is as it should be.
Hughes has a good relationship with both Cook and Mubarak.
The above implies that the owners are taking a long term patient view, and that Hughes will be around for the forseable future. This is backed up by discussions taking place about next season already.

Therefore if you are a Hughes hater this article will not fill you with joy. If however, you believe that Hughes could be the man to lead us forward and would like him around for the long term, complete with the backing of a sensible board and a unified director/management structure who all communicate well with each other then this is a very revealing piece.

But what is Marwood actually going to do? Hughes runs the team. Aldridge is currently Chief Operating Officer (though we never seem to hear much about him). Who else do we need? It sounds like he's going to be Director-of-Football-without-being-called-Director-of-Football.

I don't want us to become another Newcastle or Chelsea, where loads of people seem to have their fingers in the pie. Let the people who do the key jobs have the authority to do those jobs.

I am also a bit worried by this.

Why doesn there need to be a go-between?

Doesn't Mark Hughes talk to Gary Cook who talks to the owner.

If Gary Cook doesn't know football well enough to do his job then he needs to go, not have a mate to hold his hand.

I can imagine that as we are getting towards the summer, the phones will be glowing with every agent and his dog looking for meetings and touting their players. If MH took every call then he'd be doing nothing else all day. Perhaps getting Brian Marwood in means having somebody who knows football, understands the commercial side of life, can sort out the possibles from the no-hopers and will take some of the workload off MH.

Chief Operating Officer should be managing at executive level things like staffing, ground maintenance, catering, hospitality and ticket office (full time job we know).

BlueDune said:
I can imagine that as we are getting towards the summer, the phones will be glowing with every agent and his dog looking for meetings and touting their players. If MH took every call then he'd be doing nothing else all day. Perhaps getting Brian Marwood in means having somebody who knows football, understands the commercial side of life, can sort out the possibles from the no-hopers and will take some of the workload off MH.

Chief Operating Officer should be managing at executive level things like staffing, ground maintenance, catering, hospitality and ticket office (full time job we know).
Correct. And as I've previously mentioned, the board need a link between them and Hughes who understands the game.....someone who can be objective in their assessment of performances and management Vs the timescales that the board have in mind.

Put simply, if the board were to sack MH tomorrow, not one member of that board has the footballing credentials to back up the decision. On the flip side, not one of them has the credentials to understand when the manager is doing a good job in light of circumstances.

Again, this Marwood appointment is another piece of professionalism that our new owners are bringing to MCFC.

You can sit there and get all "victor meldrew" with your "....if Cook needs his hand holding..." tripe and "..it just sounds like a disguised DoF role...." whinging, or.......you could believe what the club says about the remit of the role and the consultation with MH and maybe, just maybe, give some credence to the points that BlueDune has raised.

ADUG have done plenty to impress me thus far, but some of you lot seem content to search for a negative in each and every decision made at MCFC Towers. Shame on you for that.

Ghost in my house said:
BlueDune said:

Correct. And as I've previously mentioned, the board need a link between them and Hughes who understands the game.....someone who can be objective in their assessment of performances and management Vs the timescales that the board have in mind.

Put simply, if the board were to sack MH tomorrow, not one member of that board has the footballing credentials to back up the decision. On the flip side, not one of them has the credentials to understand when the manager is doing a good job in light of circumstances.

Again, this Marwood appointment is another piece of professionalism that our new owners are bringing to MCFC.

You can sit there and get all "victor meldrew" with your "....if Cook needs his hand holding..." tripe and "..it just sounds like a disguised DoF role...." whinging, or.......you could believe what the club says about the remit of the role and the consultation with MH and maybe, just maybe, give some credence to the points that BlueDune has raised.

ADUG have done plenty to impress me thus far, but some of you lot seem content to search for a negative in each and every decision made at MCFC Towers. Shame on you for that.

Great post. The points about needing a football guy on the board are absolutely bang on. I st hope Marwood can do a good job

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.