Bristol and their football teams

Mike N

I spent an enjoyable evening in Bristol recently and got thinking about football. I'm old enough to remember Bristol City in the top division, and when they ended our unbeaten run. But that was the 70's and for a big, important city, that is a terrible run, especially as they have two clubs.

For under achievement there cant be another city in England that have done so badly. I really dont see why Bristol is such a football back-water. Ashton Gate has had a lot of investment lately so maybe a return to the top flight might be possible?

I spent an enjoyable evening in Bristol recently and got thinking about football. I'm old enough to remember Bristol City in the top division, and when they ended our unbeaten run. But that was the 70's and for a big, important city, that is a terrible run, especially as they have two clubs.

For under achievement there cant be another city in England that have done so badly. I really dont see why Bristol is such a football back-water. Ashton Gate has had a lot of investment lately so maybe a return to the top flight might be possible?

When i was (much) younger I went to see Bristol Rovers at home - you could pay 6p to change ends at half time. I think the surrounding area is more Rugby centred than football.

I live not to too far from Bristol and it's the one part of England where rugby challenges football's dominance - probably to do with the Welsh influence. Bristol's probably suffered by having two professional clubs as well as the challenge from rugby. If there was just the one they could probably attract crowds of 30kish and compete in the premier league.

Odd when you think of some of the club's who have played in the top division over the past 40 years that Bristol haven't had a representative.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.