Bristol and their football teams

Discussion in 'General football forum' started by Mike N, 14 Sep 2017.

1. Mike N

Mike N

I spent an enjoyable evening in Bristol recently and got thinking about football. I'm old enough to remember Bristol City in the top division, and when they ended our unbeaten run. But that was the 70's and for a big, important city, that is a terrible run, especially as they have two clubs.

For under achievement there cant be another city in England that have done so badly. I really dont see why Bristol is such a football back-water. Ashton Gate has had a lot of investment lately so maybe a return to the top flight might be possible?

2. dickie davies

dickie davies

For supposedly Britain's second city, Birmingham has a poor record in the last 30 years

Britain's third city, London, hasn't fared too badly

3. Ifwecouldjust.......

Ifwecouldjust.......

When i was (much) younger I went to see Bristol Rovers at home - you could pay 6p to change ends at half time. I think the surrounding area is more Rugby centred than football.

4. pace89

pace89

I live not to too far from Bristol and it's the one part of England where rugby challenges football's dominance - probably to do with the Welsh influence. Bristol's probably suffered by having two professional clubs as well as the challenge from rugby. If there was just the one they could probably attract crowds of 30kish and compete in the premier league.

5. Mike N

Mike N

Odd when you think of some of the club's who have played in the top division over the past 40 years that Bristol haven't had a representative.

6. East Level 2

East Level 2

Maths isn't your strong point is it? Unless 2017-40 really is greater than 1980.

7. Mad Eyed Screamer

Mad Eyed Screamer

Prior to Stoke getting in the Prem a few years back, Joke on Trent was a poor City football wise too for 30 odd years

8. lust overlord

lust overlord

basking in the glow of my own self importance.
    Tony Robinson (baldrick) is a Bristol city fan.
    I remember reading an interview he gave 442 years ago.
    He got tired of people,(when Bristol city were a goal or two down)if he had a cunning plan to turn the game around.

9. Mike N

Mike N

I was being approximate. ;-)

10. Uwe Already

Uwe Already

Doesn't help when they get a decent player they lose them to bigger clubs, for example a certain Shaun Goater - would they have done better by keeping a few?