British and Irish Lions Tour - 2013

Tourist since 1971 said:
Should have lost, but got the feeling that Lions were capable of so much more. Yes the scrum in the second half struggled (that scrum practically under the posts that they fucked up nearly got me arrested for breach of the peace I barked so loudly at the moon), but the decision making all game was awful, mainly from Phillips. He was so slow deciding what to do that he invariably made the wrong decisions - should have had Youngs on far earlier. Onto Melbourne - just don't turn it into another 2001 disappointment.

When he was finally taken off the reaction in the rugby club where I watched it was joyous. That performance was Phillips at his worst and I'm not a fan of him at his best.

foetus said:
citykev28 said:
Caveman said:
It does but you've got to remember reasons why. Part of that is because back in the 60s-80s Welshmen who wen to play league were hammered by the press and couldn't get jobs back in Union after going to play league. For a while they wouldn't even get jobs of any sort back in Wales. The French Govt banned rugby league, labelling it "a game for rogues" for a long while when it seemed RL was overtaking RU in France.

But the best rugby team of either code are the Kangaroos and the best rugby competition of either code is the NRL (RU players even say that!) and, for me, the best rugby spectical of either code - it's one of the best specticals in sport, full stop - is rugby league's State of Origin series between Queensland and NSW.

I never knew any of that, thanks. A really interesting post and has intrigued me. When is the State of Origin match, is it on Sky and is there any reason why I might want to support one team over the other?

Game 2 is next Wednesday night (aus time). Support the blues! (nsw).

nsw=man city
qld=man utd
(bit of bias seeing as im from nsw haha)

Very bias!

NSW ( Man Utd ) Have a swagger, look down their noses @ QLD
QLD ( City ) Historical underdogs, overcoming arrogant neighbours

Go Maroons :)

without a dream said:
Tourist since 1971 said:
Should have lost, but got the feeling that Lions were capable of so much more. Yes the scrum in the second half struggled (that scrum practically under the posts that they fucked up nearly got me arrested for breach of the peace I barked so loudly at the moon), but the decision making all game was awful, mainly from Phillips. He was so slow deciding what to do that he invariably made the wrong decisions - should have had Youngs on far earlier. Onto Melbourne - just don't turn it into another 2001 disappointment.

When he was finally taken off the reaction in the rugby club where I watched it was joyous. That performance was Phillips at his worst and I'm not a fan of him at his best.

True, he was very poor but he's still the best scrum half on tour by a country mile. He owes everyone a big game this weekend.

bluemoon32 said:
without a dream said:
Tourist since 1971 said:

True, he was very poor but he's still the best scrum half on tour by a country mile. He owes everyone a big game this weekend.

9 and 10 were so poor. Sexton getting slow ball all the time didnt help. A wins and win. Sexton with quicker ball is a far better player in my view.

leighton said:
bluemoon32 said:
without a dream said:

9 and 10 were so poor. Sexton getting slow ball all the time didnt help. A wins and win. Sexton with quicker ball is a far better player in my view.

ALUN-WYN JONES this man needs to stay on longer,as soon as he left the field penalties were given away and the scrum looked pretty shit..

bluemoon32 said:
without a dream said:
Tourist since 1971 said:

Depends what you look for in a scrum half :) I think that Sexton and the 3/4s would rather have Youngs, he's had a very consistent tour.

Looking great on line outs again today.

Richie Gray having a fantastic game. Sneakily watching this in work.

Lions team: Leigh Halfpenny, Tommy Bowe, Brian O'Driscoll, Jonathan Davies, George North, Jonathan Sexton, Ben Youngs; Mako Vunipola, Tom Youngs, Adam Jones, Alun Wyn Jones, Geoff Parling, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (c), Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: Richard Hibbard, Ryan Grant, Dan Cole, Tom Croft, Sean O'Brien, Conor Murray, Owen Farrell, Alex Cuthbert.

Good choices I think. Phillips deservedly dropped, Lydiate to help the breakdown. Gray/Evans maybe unlucky and I'd be a little worried if we lose one of the locks early doors with Croft/Lydiate having to fill in.

bluemoon32 said:
without a dream said:
Tourist since 1971 said:

Gatland obviously thinks differently, although he has used an injury excuse, so maybe he would have picked him. Good to see Bowe in, cracking player just hope his hand is FULLY recovered - mind you with metal screws in his hand he has a wolverine weapon at his disposal!

I have no problem with Tommy Bowe, but Alex Cuthbert must be thinking wtf scores a cracker in the test and Bowe not played for 3 weeks.
Must try to get 80 min out of Adam Jones ( haha yer I know), but without him our scrum went to shit.
With Youngs starting at 9 I would expect things to quicken up and the ball to move wider, if thats the plan then Tipuric should be flanker for his pace around the meadow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.