British and Irish Lions Tour to South Africa 2021 thread

Lions squad has been anounced:

Forwards: Tadhg Beirne, Jack Conan, Luke Cowan Dickie, Tom Curry, Zander Fagerson, Taulupe Faletau, Tadhg Furlong, Jamie George, Iain Henderson, Jonny Hill, Maro Itoje, Alun Wyn Jones, Wyn Jones, Courtney Lawes, Ken Owens, Andrew Porter, Sam Simmonds, Rory Sutherland, Justin Tipuric, Mako Vunipola, Hamish Watson

Backs: Josh Adams, Bundee Aki, Dan Biggar, Elliot Daly, Gareth Davies, Owen Farrell, Chris Harris, Robbie Henshaw, Stuart Hogg, Conor Murray, Ali Price, Louis Rees-Zammit, Finn Russell, Duhan van der Merwe, Anthony Watson, Liam Williams.

A very odd squad, that midfield is so pedestrian it's unreal & Johnny Hill wtf haha.
It's a squad to play kick and clap and try to smash SA.

May missing out is a surprise.
A pack to scrum and try to dominate in the tackle, centres of no great creativity and wings/fullback who can.
I think Sexton would be a risk as I think he's just beaten up after a lot of rugby - the backs are going to have a few high balls to chase.

I thought AWJ was the obvious tour captain. There are 6 games for the players to make their claims.

The centres worry me, not in defence but without Davies there isn't one who IMO can create anything ( on form Davies doesn't tour anyway ) Like the wings and full backs some pace and skill there.
Well we all know what we get with Dan and the Boks will know they can't run through him.
Love the back row selections. Hill seems a strange pick but pundits say his Exeter form is top notch. He's a big lad hope he likes a fight.
Front row I guess Francis from Wales might feel pissed of.
Hope Gats gets the Farrell issue sorted 10 or centre.
Cannot wait now, bring if on and in the words of Spitting Image - I never met a nice South African ;-)

I've seen something that suggests it's picked for the centres to tackle and stop (Daly not listed as a fullback, but as a centre), and the number 8s to attack in wide channels, as they're all reasonably quick.

The World Cup final showed what happens if you try to run through the middle.

I've seen something that suggests it's picked for the centres to tackle and stop (Daly not listed as a fullback, but as a centre), and the number 8s to attack in wide channels, as they're all reasonably quick.

The World Cup final showed what happens if you try to run through the middle.
No two games are the same

There be plenty of hard luck stories there. Sexton is unlucky but getting injury prone now it would of been a nice way to end his time at the top in a Lions Touring team. The pack not too much complaints. Jack Conan making tour didnt shock me he has been playing some great rugby. I could also of seen him missing out for a more seasoned player. Not too sure if he will get much game time impact sub at best. I also fear for the midfield shocked Aki got in. Couldnt nail down a spot in the Ireland team. Also the same with Murray he shouldnt be going but in Murrays case might be the former glories got him into the tour squad.

As always there will be injuries and for some not in the squad yet i wouldnt be shocked if a few of the names missing out gets a call up. I thought Zebo was playing some great rugby in France and if there was a shock pick it may have been him in he squad at 15 but you cant complain too much about the backs. In the 15 and wings positions it was kind of nailed down for those players.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.