British lad and canadian lass arrested for graffiti in Thailand

Maybe sending them to prison won't serve any good, what else will really get into the heads of scrotes like these? Community service and a fine represent no deterent what so ever......
I am of the firm view that prison doesn't work for minor offences such as these, especially given the circles and environment that offenders will be mixing in whilst incarcerated. People think it does because they are tied to Victorian notions of punishment. They are wedded to the idea that locking soneone in a building for a set period of time is the only answer to anti-social behaviour. It is a sinfully simplistic (and anachronistic) approach, given the technological tools that are now available to the state to assist with the punishment of offenders.

I would have hoped that levels of crime and recidivism in your own adopted country would have cast more light on this particular subject than appears to be the case. It's simply insane to think that the present approach works; it manifestly doesn't.

I am of the firm view that prison doesn't work for minor offences such as these, especially given the circles and environment that offenders will be mixing in whilst incarcerated. People think it does because they are tied to Victorian notions of punishment. They are wedded to the idea that locking soneone in a building for a set period of time is the only answer to anti-social behaviour. It is a sinfully simplistic (and anachronistic) approach, given the technological tools that are now available to the state to assist with the punishment of offenders.

I would have hoped that levels of crime and recidivism in your own adopted country would have cast more light on this particular subject than appears to be the case. It's simply insane to think that the present approach works; it manifestly doesn't.
I'm in agreement that prison doesn't work, I'm genuinely curious what you think the answer is. Community service does not send the right message, there has to be something more ...surely

I'm in agreement that prison doesn't work, I'm genuinely curious what you think the answer is. Community service does not send the right message, there has to be something more ...surely
An electronic curfew could/would work in conjunction with community service, which is an example of an available technological tool (to which I referred earlier).

People seem to think that people being compelled to do work for the wider benefit of society is somehow a soft touch for offenders. It is not, and with the amount of litter that currently spoils large tracts of the country there is a ready made (partial) solution to the problem which could be more purposefully deployed if the will was there.

Why is a restriction on someone's general liberty (by way of a curfew) and a requirement to undertake work for the benefit of the wider community not a suitable punishment for defacing a wall?

An electronic curfew could/would work in conjunction with community service, which is an example of an available technological tool (to which I referred earlier).

People seem to think that people being compelled to do work for the wider benefit of society is somehow a soft touch for offenders. It is not, and with the amount of litter that currently dispoils large tracts of the country there is a ready made (partial) solution to the problem which could be more purposefully deployed if the will was there.

Why is a restriction on someone's general liberty (by way of a curfew) and a requirement to undertake work for the benefit of the wider community not a suitable punishment for defacing a wall?
Obviously not your wall

Obviously not your wall
It genuinely wouldn't make any difference if it was my wall. I've had property vandalised and I haven't wanted severe retribution against the perpetrators.

I like to think I have my priorities correct when it comes to the value I place on property, including my own. After all, it's only a fucking wall. I'm sorry you don't appear to share that perspective.

You don't happen to be a magistrate do you?
You certainly have the same mentality, ie don't lock them up, fine them instead.
Fines (in the UK at least) don't work because scroats never pay them. They build up and up and then they get let off and it starts again. The scroats know this and the circle goes around and around.

You certainly have the same mentality, ie don't lock them up, fine them instead.
Fines (in the UK at least) don't work because scroats never pay them. They build up and up and then they get let off and it starts again. The scroats know this and the circle goes around and around.
I'm not a magistrate no, although it amuses me greatly that you think I might be.

I'm not a magistrate no, although it amuses me greatly that you think I might be.
01-angry-judge1.jpeg

Scroats? You obviously mean folk like tony blair.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.