British lad and canadian lass arrested for graffiti in Thailand

He's clearly a dickhead and deserves to be punished but it's a bit disingenuous of the media and authorities to claim this is an 800 year old wall. It's a reproduction of an ancient wall that was built in 1985.

They were restored rather than reproduced. Pretty much every ancient ruin you'll see around the world is the work of modern restoration.

They were restored rather than reproduced. Pretty much every ancient ruin you'll see around the world is the work of modern restoration.
It was built completely from scratch. I've seen the photos them building it

Yep - take the pile of rubble and rebuild it. That really is how it gets done! Prambanan temple in Indonesia is a brilliant example of it - you can see the piles of stones that constitutes most of the stupas and compare them to the restored bits. Most of what we see is ahhh assisted!

The gates are from scratch but the walls were reconstructed from the ruins of the former wall and the bases and 4 corners were still around

Here is a pic of the gate circa 1899

thaphaegate1899.jpg

So the 800 year old remark is fair really as the sight is historically important for all that time.

285FB46C-A2FB-46A7-8E49-87AF67CA924E.thumb.png.7feced0dbc31e05115d4fcdb6f106207.png

"The modern Thapae Gate (or Tha Phae Gate) looks from afar like a modern wall, and it certainly is contemporary. It is a totally straight reconstruction from 1985 built around a concrete structure; it is very loosely based on an old photograph of the Thapae Gate from 1899. Therefore, the new Thapae Gate wall is very much fake and has nothing to do with the original gate and walls. It is oversized, nothing in the material is original, the ramparts are too large, and everything is totally fake. The only part that looks like the original is the hardwood door which looks like the city door on the historical photo."
http://bytelife.altervista.org/history.htm

Not excusing his twattish behaviour, but it's very much a modern reproduction built with modern materials.

I found the reaction of the media and some people trying to justify any wronging by Brits outside Britain funny. This time "he suffers minor brain condition". There are countless of similar incidents in the Middle East, specifically Dubai where Brits commit crimes such as having sex on the beach, drunk driving, trash talking law officers...etc. but the media propaganda tries to spin the facts and blames it on the countries rules & laws!

Unfortunately the officials in Dubai are too nice and released most of those people despite their wrong doings to try and stop the media propaganda ruining the city's image. Now they are trying the same with Thailand!
Sadly we live in a snowflake society in Britain where no one is accountable for their own actions any more. It's always someone's else's fault or there is a reason for this stupidity. Frankly I find it embarrassing.

I love visiting Canterbury, which has some beautiful walls which date back several hundred years, and I’m sure if a foreign visitor came to the UK and defaced one of them with graffiti I’d be suitably pissed off, but in terms of appropriate punishment I would say some form of reparation (a fine to cover the clean up) plus some hours of community service would be suitably condign. Sending them to prison will serve no useful purpose.

It's worth remembering that less than two hundred years ago theft and a number of other offences related to assaults on property were punishable by death. The Black Act of 1723 created 50 capital offences for acts of theft, which was designed simply to protect the property interests of the ruling classes. More recently, the birch was administered to those who dishonestly appropriated property belonging to another. This offence falls far short of theft as there is no attributable loss to any individual, especially a vulnerable one.

I'm sure such forms of punishment will give the usual suspects on here a raging hard-on, but to me, a society that severely punishes assaults on property is one that has its priorities completely wrong.

I love visiting Canterbury, which has some beautiful walls which date back several hundred years, and I’m sure if a foreign visitor came to the UK and defaced one of them with graffiti I’d be suitably pissed off, but in terms of appropriate punishment I would say some form of reparation (a fine to cover the clean up) plus some hours of community service would be suitably condign. Sending them to prison will serve no useful purpose.

It's worth remembering that less than two hundred years ago theft and a number of other offences related to assaults on property were punishable by death. The Black Act of 1723 created 50 capital offences for acts of theft, which was designed simply to protect the property interests of the ruling classes. More recently, the birch was administered to those who dishonestly appropriated property belonging to another. This offence falls far short of theft as there is no attributable loss to any individual, especially a vulnerable one.

I'm sure such forms of punishment will give the usual suspects on here a raging hard-on, but to me, a society that severely punishes assaults on property is one that has its priorities completely wrong.
Maybe sending them to prison won't serve any good, what else will really get into the heads of scrotes like these? Community service and a fine represent no deterent what so ever......

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.