Broken Laptop Screen

BlueTG

Didn't know which forum to pop this in so if it belongs in the Technical Queries forum then feel free to move it!

Basically I have just dropped my laptop (well netbook) and smashed my screen up so now it is just white. I need some work files off it for this weekend and the HDMI port wont connect to an external monitor anymore and I'm strapped for cash for a few weeks.

Does anyone know any quick ways to recover or extract the files? Cheers!

can you remove the hard drive? if so i would get a usb to sata connector connect it to a pc see if it will read it. If you have trouble with windows accessing it, google "mint live cd download" and burn it to disk. Boot a pc from dvd rom with the mint cd in you should then be able to send them to a usb also connected to the pc.

talkativesprout said:
can you remove the hard drive? if so i would get a usb to sata connector connect it to a pc see if it will read it. If you have trouble with windows accessing it, google "mint live cd download" and burn it to disk. Boot a pc from dvd rom with the mint cd in you should then be able to send them to a usb also connected to the pc.
I will try to make sense of that slowly haha.
But yes, I do believe I can remove my hard drive. I'm scurrying around google looking for quick fixes, just wish the external monitor option had worked as that is about my level of computing skill

BlueTG said:
dazdon said:
Can't you connect via the VGA port?
Tried that just now but it still give's no signal unfortunately

Hi Blue,
Some laptops do not automatically switch to VGA output when a cable is inserted, if not, there's usually a key combination which activates this (holding the function (Fn) key and pressing one of the numbered function keys at the top of the keyboard). Sometimes this key will have a picture of a monitor on it. Just a thought.

BlueTG said:
talkativesprout said:
But yes, I do believe I can remove my hard drive. I'm scurrying around google looking for quick fixes, just wish the external monitor option had worked as that is about my level of computing skill

I'm guessing it's windows machine, connect the external display and press Fn + F3, see if the external display starts

steviemc said:
BlueTG said:
dazdon said:
Can't you connect via the VGA port?
Tried that just now but it still give's no signal unfortunately

Hi Blue,
Some laptops do not automatically switch to VGA output when a cable is inserted, if not, there's usually a key combination which activates this (holding the function (Fn) key and pressing one of the numbered function keys at the top of the keyboard). Sometimes this key will have a picture of a monitor on it. Just a thought.
Thanks! I will give it a look in a few minutes.

BlueTG said:
talkativesprout said:

lol, if your local to tameside give us a shout, bring it round and i will have a butchers for you

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.