broken laptop

shinpads

yesterday i went to fold the screen down on my laptop and one of the hinges broke. now i cant move the screen at all for fear of breaking it totally, some of the wires to the screen are now exposed but the lappy is still functioning. any suggestions for getting it fixed , or should i claim of f the house insurance, it may not be as broken as it could be but its a pain having the screen permanently open.

Chris Mac said:
I have a sinking feeling about my laptop. The hard drive looks like it's gone. It's just up and napped it. Reckon I could claim on my home insurance for a new one?

if you have accidental damage cover and could conveniently drop the fooker down the stairs (after copying all your stuff off it first of course)

mcnil said:
yesterday i went to fold the screen down on my laptop and one of the hinges broke. now i cant move the screen at all for fear of breaking it totally, some of the wires to the screen are now exposed but the lappy is still functioning. any suggestions for getting it fixed , or should i claim of f the house insurance, it may not be as broken as it could be but its a pain having the screen permanently open.

There's only one cable that joins them and it's pretty firm too - so you could try forcing it open...

It's hard to explain, but theres two pins on either side...that lift vertically up to remove rather than like a lid.

Chris Mac said:
I have a sinking feeling about my laptop. The hard drive looks like it's gone. It's just up and napped it. Reckon I could claim on my home insurance for a new one?

Hard drives can usually be fixed, my lappy claimed my hard drive was unmountable and basically screwed but I fixed it and recovered all the data as well, didn't have to do anything major! Just put the drive into a hard drive enclosure and connect it up to a working PC or laptop, then click start > run and type "CMD" without the quotes. Then type the following command:

chkdsk [drive letter here followed by :] /f

for example if the drive was assigned drive letter F:

chkdsk F: /f

This should repair the hard drive as much as is possible, if it doesn't work then not a lot will, if it does work you will see all kinds of info coming up in the cmd window, which is good!

just waiting for the insurance to make their descision now. got a letter from the computer shop confirming its fooked, so hopefully i will get a new lappy soon

edit....... new laptop on its way

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.