Building/structural question

Have to agree with Worsley that sounds a bit pricey, assuming you have a standard sized house your steel RSJs shouldn't cost anymore than circa £2k. Allow £500 odd for some structural calcs, and about a grand of other materials bit of brickwork hire of acros, skip etc and some plaster, then the rest is just really labour. Would have thought you could have got it done for under £8k tbh. You shouldnt even need planning for internal works. Might be worth shopping arround a bit.

Last edited:
Have to agree with Worsley that sounds a bit pricey, assuming you have a standard sized house your steel RSJs shouldn't cost anymore than circa £2k. Allow £500 odd for some structural calcs, and about a grand of other materials bit of brickwork hire of acros, skip etc and some plaster, then the rest is just really labour. Would have thought you could have got it done for under £8k tbh. You shouldnt even need planning for internal works. Might be worth shopping arround a bit.

Thanks mate. We’ve had the structural calculations done, and the engineer said it wasn’t straightforward as it isn’t one continuous wall. It joins at a dog leg.

They’d have to dig down and put a supporting column in where the walls join. Should’ve pointed out that the quotes we’ve had also include the removal of a chimney breast, but are still a lot more than we expected and out of our budget.

Thanks mate. We’ve had the structural calculations done, and the engineer said it wasn’t straightforward as it isn’t one continuous wall. It joins at a dog leg.

They’d have to dig down and put a supporting column in where the walls join. Should’ve pointed out that the quotes we’ve had also include the removal of a chimney breast, but are still a lot more than we expected and out of our budget.

The two million pound a year add revenue you get from this site must cover it?

I have had adverts for gold bullion this morning!

The two million pound a year add revenue you get from this site must cover it?

I have had adverts for gold bullion this morning!

Ha, if only. The ads usually reflect your browsing habits though, so presumably you’ve been looking at buying some gold yourself!

Ha, if only. The ads usually reflect your browsing habits though, so presumably you’ve been looking at buying some gold yourself!

Does it? Mrs ww has been using my phone this week...got me worried now.

Be more worried if you start getting ads for Tinder ;)

Anyway willing to take mrs ww on Should get the Nobel peace prize. He would instantly become my hero. I will do your structural work for free if you marry her.

Oh that explains it fair enough , bigger job then.

This is probably a stupid question, so you’ll have to bear with me as I’m a bit of a fuckwit when it comes to these things.

Moved house 18 months ago, and the previous owners built an L-shaped (two storey) extension on the back of the house but left the original external wall in. Means we’ve got that wall, complete with window and patio doors, still inside the house which looks a bit shit. Had quotes to remove the entire wall, but it’s very expensive (circa £15k) because of the load it’s bearing.

Can’t afford that, so now we’re thinking of just removing the window and patio doors to open it up a bit. Can we just go ahead and do that ourselves, or will they be bearing any of the weight above?
No problem at all with opening up, they will lintels over the top, pm me when ready for plastering ;-)))

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.