Building/structural question

It was tongue in cheek mate but yes, always check before doing any type of work.

Probably another stupid question, but how can I tell if there are lintels and what they’re made of? House was built in the 50s I think.

Probably another stupid question, but how can I tell if there are lintels and what they’re made of? House was built in the 50s I think.

Is the brick exposed? Above the door there should be something that the brick is sitting on. If it's steel it will be about 1/2" - 3/4" thick (sorry, don't do metric). If it's wood, it will be about 6- 8" tall. Send me a pic if you want mate.

This is what a steel lintel might look like

Steel%20Lintel%202.jpg

Last edited:

Would be very surprised if there are no lintels present. Most likely it will be a steel lintel on a property that age.

It'll literally be sat between the top edge of the window/door and the brick above it. Best uploading a pic of this area if you can.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.