Bundesliga 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think BMG v Koln is 2nd biggest derby (Rhineland Derby)

Dortmund v Schalke is the biggest derby (Revierderby)

Fortuna Dusseldorf v Koln is a smaller Rhineland derby though I was surprised how much they hate each other

Bayern v TSV1860, Hamburg v St Pauli, Union v Hertha also up there

BMG and Köln is pretty big and its the classic "posh city people" (Köln) against the "working class" (Gladbach). Both clubs have a pretty successfull history which made their clashes in the 60s/70s/80s pretty exciting.
Köln then took a similar way to many other "big" clubs like Kaiserslautern, Frankfurt etc. and became a bit of a jojo club bouncing between BuLi1 and 2. Mönchengladbach were pretty shit for a while as well but it seems like they turned the ship around.

Köln v Düsseldorf is a pretty big derby as well as both cities literally hate each other. Köln is a forbidden city to Düsseldorf and vice versa. This rivalry doesnt just cover sports like Icehockey and Football but even things like carnival, local beer etc etc. Maybe @Rhineland can explain a bit further why Kölsch is just a shitty beer and still seems to be the go to beer of the Cologne locals. ;-)

Bayern v TSV is obviously pretty big (their amateur games are well worth a visit) same with Hamburg and St.Pauli and Union v Hertha as they are some of the few "inner city" derbies in German football.

There are a ton of other interesting fixtures in German football though which unfortunately have not been played for a long time due to clubs playing different leagues.

Frankfurt - Offenbach is pure carnage and the first time we met in the cup after 30 years was awesome and scary at the same time. Sat right between the Offenbach fans and then we scored in the dying minutes of the game with hooligans starting to climb over the fances. My mom actually tried to convince me not to go even though I had tickets as the local media was building this up as the "hooligan clash" of the century as both sets of fans have a bit of a reputation. Ended up going anyway, mom found out and didnt talk to me for a couple of weeks.
Frankfurt - Kaiserslautern is a bit of a strange one. Both relatively big clubs fallen from grace and only about the 100 km between both places made for the perfect "derby" when our closest local rivals (Offenbach for us and Mannheim for them) disappeared into the lower leagues. Still absolutely no love lost between both sets of fans. One of the pinacles was Ultras Frankfurt releasing a video of a butcher killing a pig (we call Kaiserslautern Fans pigs) prior to a cup derby fixture which sparked some controversy.

Frankfurt - Kaiserslautern had this gem of a choreo which was the first animated choreo in German football featuring our eagle tearing apart the Lautern (FCK) logo to show a big "Fuck" instead. Sorry for the horrible quality but the video is literally ancient and 17 years old.

Eintracht Braunschweig v Hannover is pretty heated, Stuttgart v Karlsruhe is tasty, same as fixtures like St. Pauli v Rostock which is not naturally a "derby" but just a clash of cultures. Super left wing St. Pauli against right wing Rostock.

Edit: Ha, I even found the Lautern video calling for the raid on Kaiserslautern

Last edited:
@citykev28: Yes, our ground used to be the Waldstadion which had a running track between the pitch and the terraces.

Frankfurt%252C+Waldstadion+7.jpg

It was completely rebuild for the WC 2006 and the video shows the ground at a stage where the roof is still missing.

Angelino starts for RB

On BT sports 2 I think, shall fill a gap where one should have been at the Etihad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.