Burnley (H) Post Match Thread

Some credit to Burnley and Dyche, to keep a town of seventy thousand people in the premier League for five years and even achieving European football is little short of miraculous. Ok the footy might not be pretty but has been effective over several seasons and the man, the team and the town have to cut their cloth to suit their means. I worked In Burnley in the seventies and watched them frequently , found them keen and Knowledgeable football fans. One last thing in Burnley unlike most Lancashire towns you only see claret shirts not rags and dippers tops. I wish them well and hope they stay up.
There are plenty of smaller clubs who play more entertaining football than Burnley in all divisions here and across Europe. I am not expecting Burnley to be Real Madrid but I don't have a lot of time for Managers like Dyche who are decades out of date with their tactics.
I thought Dyche was embarrassing during the League Cup match earlier this season. He could be heard clearly ranting and raving on the touchline, screaming abuse at officials, demanding that his players lumped the ball long. He was like Mike Bassett Football Manager.
City have had some truly terrible sides over the decades but we have never played like Burnley (apart perhaps from the Pearce era) Stadiums would be empty (without Covid) if all teams played like Burnley. I don't like Mourhino for the same reasons. I think Burnley fans (who I agree are very loyal) deserve better.

Of course he played an active part. The ball hit him and went in the goal.

"The game was ruined by a referee who insisted on penalising every foul."

Intention has never been part of offside. And it's far harder now to be offside. Remember Shankly and "if he's not interfering with play what's he doing on the pitch?". Remember the controversy (and the stupid commentary) about this goal?

That was when (against what the law actually said) merely being in an offside position meant the flag went up. And remember this horrendous decision? There was a diagram in the laws at the time that said this wasn't offside (second clip).

What was the possible justification for offside?!

Team mate in an offside position (but clearly not interfering with play, by any modern definition). I can recall Summerbee crossing the ball back from the byline for a goal and he was given offside as he was in an offside position still on the goal-line. One reporter said on that basis Stanley Matthews would have been offside more often than not.

Anyway, the point is that they were ridiculous decisions under the laws of the game, whereas the Jesus/Torres goal was the right decision, whether the assistant saw it in real time or just made a good guess. Before VAR I expect he would have told the ref "I think I saw player J head it against player T in an offside position, so unless you got a better view it's offside". It was clear in the MotD replay - not sure why BT didn't show it - but VAR just proved it was the right decision and not close.

There are plenty of smaller clubs who play more entertaining football than Burnley in all divisions here and across Europe. I am not expecting Burnley to be Real Madrid but I don't have a lot of time for Managers like Dyche who are decades out of date with their tactics.
I thought Dyche was embarrassing during the League Cup match earlier this season. He could be heard clearly ranting and raving on the touchline, screaming abuse at officials, demanding that his players lumped the ball long. He was like Mike Bassett Football Manager.
City have had some truly terrible sides over the decades but we have never played like Burnley (apart perhaps from the Pearce era) Stadiums would be empty (without Covid) if all teams played like Burnley. I don't like Mourhino for the same reasons. I think Burnley fans (who I agree are very loyal) deserve better.
Burnley like ourselves have known some incredibly dark times, needing to win their last game in 1987 to stay in the league and hope for other results to go their way. It is therefore remarkable that they have become an established premier League club capable of vastly better performances than Saturday, winning at OT last season and drawing with the dippers at Anfield. My dad was at Maine Rd in 1960 when they won the title and with much of the City support cheered them off the field. Think we should be glad to see another Lancy club in the top flight apart from tags and dippers

My dad was at Maine Rd in 1960 when they won the title and with much of the City support cheered them off the field. Think we should be glad to see another Lancy club in the top flight apart from tags and dippers
Yes. Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton, Preston, Blackpool - they were all together at the top once, but look at them now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.