Bury fans club AFC start a new life in NWCL

92 full time professional clubs was an early 20th century model, not an early 21st. Teams/clubs can continue at a semi pro level, no big deal.

The problems facing lower league clubs are the result of the formation of the Greed is Good League in 1991....look at how the numbers have escalated.....players on 200000 a week plus ..... small clubs survived by selling on their best players up the leagues.....the influx of foreign big money players has all but removed that income.
Would not be a shock to see more old clubs go the same way...Oldham could be going that route too with the idiot they have in charge.

At the end of all this the Premier League edifice WILL implode and tears will follow for some BIG clubs.....its not sustainable.

The problems facing lower league clubs are the result of the formation of the Greed is Good League in 1991....look at how the numbers have escalated.....players on 200000 a week plus ..... small clubs survived by selling on their best players up the leagues.....the influx of foreign big money players has all but removed that income.
Would not be a shock to see more old clubs go the same way...Oldham could be going that route too with the idiot they have in charge.

At the end of all this the Premier League edifice WILL implode and tears will follow for some BIG clubs.....its not sustainable.

Thanks for the reply. I agree it’s not sustainable, but I think for the league clubs rather than the PL - the PL will be fine imho.
You mention the influx of foreign big money players, but for me it’s not them that is the issue, it’s the foreign lesser money players if you like. My impression is that for a long time certainly, British players for sale by FL clubs were far too expensive relative to equivalently talented players from say, Scandinavia. If clubs/agents insisted on asking so much for run of the mill league players, it’s no wonder foreign players became so much more appealing.
But yeah, those escalating numbers since the 90s, I wouldn’t disagree, but it is what it is, and ultimately is due to the growing worldwide popularity of the PL product.

Great name by the way; is your first name Fanny by any chance?

The problem is not the money spent at the top, it's generations of fans not supporting their little local club and instead supporting United or City.

Bury were getting 3000 people a week in a season where they earned promotion. You can't function as a Championship side with 3000 fans.

The problem is not the money spent at the top, it's generations of fans not supporting their little local club and instead supporting United or City.

Bury were getting 3000 people a week in a season where they earned promotion. You can't function as a Championship side with 3000 fans.

Burton Albion are a good example of how a club can progress with such crowds, helped by sensible management and boardroom stability.

Burton Albion are a good example of how a club can progress with such crowds, helped by sensible management and boardroom stability.

How exactly? They got relegated instantly from the Championship because they didn't overspend to try and stay above where they should be. Burton have done well but they'll hover around the playoff positions in League 1 when they settle down.

Not to mention Burton were getting 5200 in the championship, not 3000.

Abo
How exactly? They got relegated instantly from the Championship because they didn't overspend to try and stay above where they should be. Burton have done well but they'll hover around the playoff positions in League 1 when they settle down.

Not to mention Burton were getting 5200 in the championship, not 3000.

About 3000 home , the rest when Wolves, Brum, Forest , Blades etc visited.

checked and the average attendances at Bury the last time they played at championship level were 6200 and 5100.

The point about Burton is that they are a club with stability, run by local family with the interests of the club at heart. They gave Clough ten years to get them into the league, patient and sustainable growth. Not insane borrowings and risk taking.

Last edited:
Bolton and Bury aren't that far from each other. Wonder if we'll see the formation of a Radcliffe FC in the near future.

If we were allowed a 'B' squad League 1 would be a reasonable standard to start at. But if I was a Bury fan it would never accept it as my team

Bolton and Bury fans hate each others guts. In any case Radcliffe FC already exists, if that's what you meant.

In fact Bolton fans hate everyone's guts, probably hate their own guts.
So they do! And to think I used to work in Bury and drive through Radcliffe. Curse my own ignorance. South Lancashire FC it is, then!

Edit: Bloody Jon Macken is Radcliffe's manager as well!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.