Buying a car during lockdown

My lad works at cartime in Bury. They have a click, pick deliver service. He tells me the cars are all honest and good condition. They do not mess you about.

Ha ha ha - Alfa's can be shocking. The Sud is legendary and rare - coz it rotted like fuck. Brother in law had one - he once got out of the car swung the drivers door shut and the side window shattered and the rusty top half of the door and window frame just fell to the ground in slow motion - one of the few times I was actually fearful that I was going to piss myself laughing. Also everything needed a special tool to fix anything. I had a mate who was fixated on Yugo cars - they were FIAT parts bin commie cars cheap as chips and impossible to break. In the end all his family had one - from memory there was him. wife, two kids and father-in-law had one - combined value less than a grand! He always said they were so easy to fix all you needed was a knife and fork lol

Yugo’s were great value for money. I nearly brought one back in the day myself because it was about the same price as a 5 year old fiesta.

I have a bit of hatred of modern cars, comfy, safe, efficient, reliable yes but generally so fucking soulless. I had an A3 from new a few years ago. Felt brilliant for the first week or 2 but hatred every second in it after that. I have a couple of older VW’s no power steering, no aircon, no brakes, rust at the first sign of rain but they have character

I have PCH deal...Personal Contract Hire...its for 4 years and i just hand the car back in 4 years time. You can go PCP, which will give you an option to buy the car at the end, or hand back...but its usually a bit more expensive.

Ive a few mates in the car trade...in sales, aftersales, mechanics, new and used.....and they have always said to go for a new car......no MOT, often get a servicing package.....no problems (or very few).
If you can afford a certain amount each month, there WILL be a car deal for you.

Ive just resigned myself to the fact i need to pay £X amount a month on a car....so for that i want no hassle, a nice/decent car
I was in the game, and usually, in normal circumstances, a new car is not the
way to go, but what you're saying here is now bang on. Interest rates are negligible, and if I were buying I too would use a PCH, a PCP is dearer, but gives the option to purchase at the term end. Not so long ago a mate's daughter bought a new VW Up for £99 down and £99 per month, over 4 years.
Now whatever reservations anyone has about finance, this deal makes sense,
pick up a brand spanker for £25 quid a week for 4 years, start with another at the end. No contest.

Just finished tickling this photo back to life only an hour a go. It's still wet so be careful.
Our Ford Anglia circa 63 with a Rochdale DK plate modeled to perfection by me and our kid.

i5vHKCD.jpg

Just look at them gas lit caravans : )
I can still remember our Ford anglia reg from the 60s.UDB970 when we lived in Brinnington. But can't remember what I did last week

I can still remember our Ford anglia reg from the 60s.UDB970 when we lived in Brinnington. But can't remember what I did last week
Just the same for me mate with the long term memory, but short term is utter pants. Last week we both stripped the kitchen down to find the spirit measure that had mysteriously vanished down a black hole. I checked the usual places like drawers, cupboards, fridge and ice cube sections then we moved on in earnest to the bins wading through spaghetti hoops and every nasty imaginable. I even checked the laundry basket, but all to no avail.

Anyway a short while later I lent against the kitchen worktops as you sometimes do, staring into oblivion and there not 12 inches from my eyes was our optic measure sat on top of the bottle of gin : /

I can still remember my forces service tag and some of our past car registrations, but the here and now is a whole different ball game. One thing that always sticks in my mind with the Ford Anglia was our ability as kids to make it rock from left to right. A disturbingly light and unstable beast and not for the faint of heart as the old man would yelp at us to cease hostility. Rocking his Anglia from side to side used to get on his man tits and at times just like his piece of tin, we thought he was a little unstable.

Last edited:
I was in the game, and usually, in normal circumstances, a new car is not the
way to go, but what you're saying here is now bang on. Interest rates are negligible, and if I were buying I too would use a PCH, a PCP is dearer, but gives the option to purchase at the term end. Not so long ago a mate's daughter bought a new VW Up for £99 down and £99 per month, over 4 years.
Now whatever reservations anyone has about finance, this deal makes sense,
pick up a brand spanker for £25 quid a week for 4 years, start with another at the end. No contest.

Any idea where she got that deal from? Or any recommendations for dealers with decent PCH deals?

I've never fancied getting a financed car, seen too many young lads blow too much of their monthly salary on a car that's never going to be theirs. However, these PCH deals seem like decent business as long as you spend within your means and don't go too high on the spec.

I drive a little old banger that I own outright, but contemplating upgrading it before it dies, the locks on it are knackered so it'd be a mare even trying to sell it. Would probably be worth upgrading soon for the amount of mileage I do. Trying to save for a house though too while renting and working my back off in an underpaid job. Feels like a never ending slog towards owning my own house or having a better car.

Any idea where she got that deal from? Or any recommendations for dealers with decent PCH deals?

I've never fancied getting a financed car, seen too many young lads blow too much of their monthly salary on a car that's never going to be theirs. However, these PCH deals seem like decent business as long as you spend within your means and don't go too high on the spec.

I drive a little old banger that I own outright, but contemplating upgrading it before it dies, the locks on it are knackered so it'd be a mare even trying to sell it. Would probably be worth upgrading soon for the amount of mileage I do. Trying to save for a house though too while renting and working my back off in an underpaid job. Feels like a never ending slog towards owning my own house or having a better car.
Better house fuck the car

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.