Buying a car - legal issue

CityStu

Any people with legal or car dealership knowledge, please chip in.

I purchased a car last weekend using my current car as trade in with a value of £1k. This was all shaken on, signed contracts and we'd agreed to collect the vehicle on Sunday.

They've rung me today saying I need to pay a further £500 as they've run an HPI check on our car and it is a former insurance right-off (which was news to me as this information wasn't passed on when I bought the car privately), drastically diminishing the value of the trade in.

As we've shaken and signed on a deal, do they now have a legal obligation to continue with that deal at the agreed price, or are they within their rights to ask for more money off me? I completely understand their position, as they won't want to make a loss on the trade in, but shouldn't they have run the HPI check prior to agreeing?

You'll probably find that somewhere in the paperwork that the deal was subject to certain conditions, a HPI check being one of them. Did you not do one yourself when you bought the car?

You'll probably find that somewhere in the paperwork that the deal was subject to certain conditions, a HPI check being one of them. Did you not do one yourself when you bought the car?

A read through the T&Cs looks like they'll only change the valuation if the P/E car is not delivered in the condition that it was when inspected (last weekend).

Technically trading in my girlfriend's car, and no, she didn't.

A read through the T&Cs looks like they'll only change the valuation if the P/E car is not delivered in the condition that it was when inspected (last weekend).

Technically trading in my girlfriend's car, and no, she didn't.

All I can suggest mate is going through the T&Cs and fronting it out with them. I doubt it will be worth pursuing it any further if they won't budge.

All I can suggest mate is going through the T&Cs and fronting it out with them. I doubt it will be worth pursuing it any further if they won't budge.

Cheers. I've gone through them and an HPI check isn't mentioned under the section for the P/E vehicle.

http://www.rac.co.uk/buying-a-car/rac-car-data-check

£15 to check yourself. The dealer might be trying to pull a fast one.

It's a reputable and well reviewed dealer, but cheers for the link.

Tell them to fuck off and honour the deal or you will just walk and go elsewhere with your business.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.