Buying players with poor mental attitude

Plain Speaking

We seem to have recruited more than our fair share of talented footballers with a poor mental attitude, (probably starting with Robinho?)
Whilst this was understandable initially with us needing to prize away top quality talent, without being able to offer CL football.
To be strongly linked with the likes of Wiltshire is concerning. So much in successful sport is about having the right mental attitude. Can we please avoid buying player's who are clearly deficient in that department.

Some of the best players in history had questionable attitudes off field. So I wouldnt write off anyone for any reason other than whether they could perform for us on the pitch or not.

I think Wilshere could, and him winding up Spurs fans doesnt even register with me as an issue. Injuries more so but I'm sure our decisions will take his injury history into account. I reckon they're more related to style of play than attitude in any case.

We seem to have recruited more than our fair share of talented footballers with a poor mental attitude, (probably starting with Robinho?)
Whilst this was understandable initially with us needing to prize away top quality talent, without being able to offer CL football.
To be strongly linked with the likes of Wiltshire is concerning. So much in successful sport is about having the right mental attitude. Can we please avoid buying player's who are clearly deficient in that department.
This is interesting and a good point. Apparently a dossier as thick as a fridge door is compiled for each target, but mental attitude doesn't seem to be a criteria.

Poor mental attitude?

Were Mr Wilshere (or anybody else for that matter), to pitch up at the Etihad, help us to silverware, then take aim from the open top bus at that shower of cunts from the swamp, with a barrow load of abuse, he'd instantly go up several notches in my estimations!

And be damned with how the press would paint it - I couldn't give the slightest of fucks! That's rivalry!

Would Mike Doyle be accused of having a "poor mental attitude" in the modern, sanitised world of football, for his famed dislike of our local rivals?

How football, and football supporters have changed!

Depends what you mean by poor mental attitude. Whispers that Tevez is available so he's an interesting current example - great attitude on the pitch in terms of workrate and application, but definitely likes a good moan too. Did he enhance or club's position? Certainly, even despite his extended golfing holiday. For us, I suspect we would never entertain taking him back anyway, would undermine the management because of what has past between them. But would he help us to be better? Possibly, he has the quality.

De Bruyne looks to have the right attitude as does Pogba. Both have kept their heads down considering they are the best young players in the world. Worried about Sterling as he seems to be a bit of a knob but we need an English contingent. The spine of Hart, Zaba, Kompany, Silva and Kun are all exemplary though so no worries there.

I believe it was the All Blacks who were early introducers of a No Dickheads policy, and if you want a role model for sustained sporting success that isn't a bad place to look.
Or you could look at the Australian cricket team who are more successful I would think and seem to have a mainly dickhead policy.

I believe it was the All Blacks who were early introducers of a No Dickheads policy, and if you want a role model for sustained sporting success that isn't a bad place to look.

The All Blacks are arguable under achievers, not sure you've picked the best example there.

The All Blacks are arguable under achievers, not sure you've picked the best example there.
"Since the introduction of the World rugby rankings, the All Blacks have held number one ranking longer than all other teams combined"
"The All Blacks are the holders of the Rugby World Cup and are the 2014 World Rugby Team of the Year as well as having the 2014 coach of the year Steve Hansen. They have won over 76% of their Test matches and are the leading Test match points scorers of all time. They are the only international side with a winning record against every country they have played, and since their international debut in 1903 only five nations have defeated New Zealand in Test matches"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.