BWSL 2022/23 City v Liverpool 29/30 October Match Thread:

Well done ladies always good to beat the dippers. Not sure knocking it about at the back is a good thing !.

The long throw was getting on my nerves
Yeah, bit of a nuisance when yer on the receiving end. Megan scored for us with one of her long throws v CFC some seasons back - ref gave it but linesman-woman had to correct her and tell her it went straight in. And that was one of three main tactical ploys from the Dippers - high press, long throw, boot from goalie, and they had a prayer meeting in each half that centred around the City back line playing it out and under-hitting it!

Working, so wasn't fully watching it, but some of our defending was abysmal, especially first half, and still we miss too many chances at the other end.

I don't rate Laura Coombs either, I'm not sure what her game is, Shaw can be very good, and quite terrible too, Kelly seems off the oace (wonder if it's still down to her injury), Hasegawa looks excellent, still with a bit to learn, I do think our other signings are very good.

Weird game I thought, created more than enough to win comfortably so you could say it was a good performance. But our defence was a bigger threat to us than the Liverpool forwards, and the midfield three don't look anything like coherent. Coombs puts herself about a lot but doesn't do much, Castellanos is good for a few good passes and shots but just gets lost most of the time and Hasegawa, good as she is on the ball, still looks miles out of her depth playing in front of the defence.

Thought Shaw and Hemp were both really good though, Hemp's no surprise, but it's great to see Shaw starting to look consistent.

Last edited:
… and Hasegawa, good as she is on the ball, still looks miles out of her depth playing in front of the defence.

Thought Shaw and Hemp were both really good though, Hemp's no surprise, but it's great to see Shaw starting to look consistent.

Hasegawa is the smallest player in the team I’m sure she would really love it if someone else played holding midfield. From what I’ve seen Aleixandri and Morgan seem like good candidates for the position.

I’ve never seen Hasegawa play center mid for club or country. She can play either left or right half. She’d still be heavily involved in the build-up combining with the center half and the side back but once the ball goes upfield she would be free to move forward for attacks which is what she is good at, and she has the workrate to get involved up and down the field.

But currently as she is supposed to be in the holding position she is withholding and staying back most of the time.

Hemp’s dribbling and Shaw’s assist were super.

Hasegawa is the smallest player in the team I’m sure she would really love it if someone else played holding midfield. From what I’ve seen Aleixandri and Morgan seem like good candidates for the position.

I’ve never seen Hasegawa play center mid for club or country. She can play either left or right half. She’d still be heavily involved in the build-up combining with the center half and the side back but once the ball goes upfield she would be free to move forward for attacks which is what she is good at, and she has the workrate to get involved up and down the field.

But currently as she is supposed to be in the holding position she is withholding and staying back most of the time.

Hemp’s dribbling and Shaw’s assist were super.

In another thread, I mentioned that Hasegawa needs an enforcer next to her and there's no reason why the Bernie/ Rodri midfield (when they play) can't be mirrored.

Castellanos is 'okay' but she's pretty static and needs time and space to see a forward pass. I don't mind Hasegawa's busy bee-like status on the pitch, but because her midfield partner is so static, she can't go into any spaces to receive the ball, turn and move forward.

This is forcing Hasegawa to take time to get into the game as she's reactive with the opposition play and what's going on rather than having a partner that allows her to be proactive, like Rodri allows Bernie to do.

We have an amazing midfield potential that oppos should be afraid of and it's super frustrating to me that this is so obvious, from what I've watched, so far.

I'm not convinced about the idea of Aleixandri or Morgan there, but almost entirely agree otherwise. It's not easy to pick up a role like that at the best of times, let alone when you have a size disadvantage like she does, and you're replacing someone the rest of the team expected to be proactive on and off the ball. I can't see how she can get good enough at this new role learning on the fly tbh.

Like you said, to me she looks like a much better replacement for Stanway/Losada, getting involved further forward, than for Walsh. Shame we didn't have her last year!

In another thread, I mentioned that Hasegawa needs an enforcer next to her and there's no reason why the Bernie/ Rodri midfield (when they play) can't be mirrored.

Castellanos is 'okay' but she's pretty static and needs time and space to see a forward pass. I don't mind Hasegawa's busy bee-like status on the pitch, but because her midfield partner is so static, she can't go into any spaces to receive the ball, turn and move forward.

This is forcing Hasegawa to take time to get into the game as she's reactive with the opposition play and what's going on rather than having a partner that allows her to be proactive, like Rodri allows Bernie to do.

We have an amazing midfield potential that oppos should be afraid of and it's super frustrating to me that this is so obvious, from what I've watched, so far.
The issue here is Coombs really. She's the third part of that trio, she's also the only one who isn't new and unlike Castellanos and Hasegawa she isn't playing in a new role. She covers a lot of ground, and she's relatively physical, but she doesn't really do very much.

She should be the Bernardo equivalent who gets up and down the pitch and drops in deep to help cover or to help bring the ball out, but she just doesn't have the quality. We don't have the personnel at the moment.

It’s been interesting watching our former players in action for their new clubs. Weir and Walsh have added very little - both are still far too negative. Surrounded by better skilful players.
I am still gobsmacked that Keira Walsh is the world’s most expensive female footballer…..beggars belief.
Bronze is just the overrated mercenary that she has been for the last few seasons - can’t defend. Sorting out her pension. Good luck to her but a shame that we ever brought her back. Cost us Keira going.
Georgia Stanway has proved the biggest loss. Still tackles like Paul Scholes and should have been red carded for Bayern v Benfica but escaped any punishment and scored the two winning goals.
The weak refereeing in the womens game is a major issue.
Jess Parks loan to Everton looking a mistake. Not sure if she has the physicality to nail down a first team place at City but she’d certainly offer more than Chloe Kelly at the moment.

I think we're missing a strong no 6 (Rodri) in front of the back 4.
Look at our opponents in this League:
Arsenal - Kim Little
Chelsea - Erin Cuthbert
United - Hayley Ladd

So 2 jocks and a Welsh ie all aggressive in the tackle and good distributors. We don't have anyone like that in our squad now Georgia has gone, even she didnt play that role for us.

I think it's a big miss in big games to have a stabilising influence in front of the back 4 as protection. We're too nicey nicey footballers in that position and neither Laura Coombs or Esme are strong enough in there.

It’s been interesting watching our former players in action for their new clubs. Weir and Walsh have added very little - both are still far too negative. Surrounded by better skilful players.
I am still gobsmacked that Keira Walsh is the world’s most expensive female footballer…..beggars belief.
Bronze is just the overrated mercenary that she has been for the last few seasons - can’t defend. Sorting out her pension. Good luck to her but a shame that we ever brought her back. Cost us Keira going.
Georgia Stanway has proved the biggest loss. Still tackles like Paul Scholes and should have been red carded for Bayern v Benfica but escaped any punishment and scored the two winning goals.
The weak refereeing in the womens game is a major issue.
Jess Parks loan to Everton looking a mistake. Not sure if she has the physicality to nail down a first team place at City but she’d certainly offer more than Chloe Kelly at the moment.
I was wondering what kind of crowds the clubs that our players went to in the summer get? I don't mean the odd game they play at their men's stadium, such as when ours play at the Etihad, what crowds do Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich's womens' teams get usually? Are they much higher than MCWFC get? Anyone know?

Last edited:
You can watch the Spanish Womens League free on DAZN YouTube.
Just kicking off now is Villarreal v Real Madrid. Looks like a largely empty stadium. Think that the Scottish Womens League get bigger crowds.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.