By-Elections

True. If people think that their vote is wasted, then there is a greater likelihood that they will simply refrain from voting (Wakefield turnout a disappointing 39%), and that is unhealthy for democracy.
But when we had a vote to change the voting system wasn't the turnout even lower than that. Truth is the majority aren't that bothered and apart from a GE don't take much interest.

But when we had a vote to change the voting system wasn't the turnout even lower than that. Truth is the majority aren't that bothered and apart from a GE don't take much interest.
Slightly higher, just, at 42.2%, but I take your point. It’s a very difficult thing to motivate people on, but it would have an enormous effect on people’s lives over time as it would stop the country lurching to either extreme.

I assume that if they took this route, they'd need input from other major parties on which option. I'd expect the SNP would be asked as they are likely to hold a significant amount of seats. An election result which meant that Conservative+SNP would be in a minority would be truly staggering.

It would presumably need to be in a manifesto though, and it'll get attacked like crazy with Italy being cited every other sentence, ignoring say, Germany which has largely done quite well.
I still think the best the opposition parties can hope for, in 2025, is a four party coalition (Green/Labour/Liberal Democrats/SNP) that runs on a ‘light’ manifesto and is more intent on toppling the Conservatives. That would lead to some major wheeling and dealing in the weeks afterward, but that is par for the course in most European systems.

It would be nice if they were all fucked, instead of it being the electorate who are the ones who are daily, weekly, perennially fucked!

Believe me when I say I couldn't agree more.

That being said, incremental progress is better than no progress and nobody is going to convince me that the tories are no worse than the rest.

I still think the best the opposition parties can hope for, in 2025, is a four party coalition (Green/Labour/Liberal Democrats/SNP) that runs on a ‘light’ manifesto and is more intent on toppling the Conservatives. That would lead to some major wheeling and dealing in the weeks afterward, but that is par for the course in most European systems.
That might suit Labour as the obvious shift the next non tory governmemt woukld do is go for a soft brext deal. Effectively rejoin the SM and CU although via some other name. It would give a big boost to the economy but still be unpopular in many red wall towns. Doing it as part of a coalition would help.

The significant downside is that the SNP would demand a referendum and that is a brexit mark 2 situation. To be avoided at all cost by anyone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.