By-Elections

The country is now sliding inexorably towards recession as well.

Yup, the economy is being talked down with all that is happening. People will get spooked and reign their spending in, we already have flat lining growth. Throwing a load of free money at it to kickstart the economy won’t work this time.

Yup, the economy is being talked down with all that is happening. People will get spooked and reign their spending in, we already have flat lining growth. Throwing a load of free money at it to kickstart the economy won’t work this time.
Johnson wants to use that expression to somehow blame the Opposition for the state of the economy, but while some of the causes are international, others are not and are due to poor policy and incompetence. There is no overarching plan and no money left. Tough, tough times ahead.

Coming from someone who has voted Tory more often than not... this is great news.

When you have a night that you lose not one but two by-elections by historical top ten swings to the other party, its been a BAD night. If I was a Conservative what would worry me more is there seems to be a huge swing in the number of people tactically voting between the Labour Party and the LD, if this continues the Tories are in a very bad place long term

When you have a night that you lose not one but two by-elections by historical top ten swings to the other party, its been a BAD night. If I was a Conservative what would worry me more is there seems to be a huge swing in the number of people tactically voting between the Labour Party and the LD, if this continues the Tories are in a very bad place long term
There was a piece in The Spectator warning about this a few months ago. The danger for the Conservatives is that this non-aggression pact leads to a Labour/Liberal Democrat/Green (maybe even SNP) coalition that then decides to change the voting system through legislation rather than through another referendum. That would almost inevitably lead to the Conservatives, a broad church, splintering and change British politics forever.

Tiverton and Honiton is one of the most incredible results ever. If the Liberal Democrats and Labour can maintain this non-aggression pact, then the apparently impossible, overturning an enormous majority in 2024, might, just might, be possible.

With the media largely in the Tories pocket I think you are right to be cautiously optimistic.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.