By-Elections

There was a piece in The Spectator warning about this a few months ago. The danger for the Conservatives is that this non-aggression pact leads to a Labour/Liberal Democrat/Green (maybe even SNP) coalition that then decides to change the voting system through legislation rather than through another referendum. That would almost inevitably lead to the Conservatives, a broad church, splintering and change British politics forever.
What would they change it to? Proportional representation?

With the media largely in the Tories pocket I think you are right to be cautiously optimistic.
There are parts of the media that certainly are, but we’ve seen how that can change and especially when owners sense that the mood in the country is changing. The media can back whichever political party they wish, but when the public don’t have money in their pocket, they have the ultimate power.

There are parts of the media that certainly are, but we’ve seen how that can change and especially when owners sense that the mood in the country is changing. The media can back whichever political party they wish, but when the public don’t have money in their pocket, they have the ultimate power.

You don't think they Tories will bribe the electorate before any GE?

I want them out and given what they have done and continue to do it should be straightforward but these cunts will do anything to hold on to power.

What would they change it to? Proportional representation?
I don’t know which specific system they would choose, and I would imagine some would argue against changing it through legislation rather than a referendum, but it would lead to greater collaboration and more centrist governments. You can already see that the public are prepared to vote tactically, so there is arguably an underlying centrist trend but with no strong party loyalty.

You don't think they Tories will bribe the electorate before any GE?

I want them out and given what they have done and continue to do it should be straightforward but these cunts will do anything to hold on to power.
Not sure what you mean by bribe. If you mean introduce a tax cut, then yes I expect the Conservatives intend to do so next spring, yet if the country is in a recession at that point, which is possible, that may not be achievable.

The system and the majority mean that removing them is anything but straightforward, and as I pointed out above, the Conservatives can rightfully sit tight until January 2025.

I don’t know which specific system they would choose, and I would imagine some would argue against changing it through legislation rather than a referendum, but it would lead to greater collaboration and more centrist governments. You can already see that the public are prepared to vote tactically, so there is arguably an underlying centrist trend but with no strong party loyalty.
I don’t know how anyone can disagree that we need a fairer voting system. So many votes wasted under the current one.

I don’t know how anyone can disagree that we need a fairer voting system. So many votes wasted under the current one.
True. If people think that their vote is wasted, then there is a greater likelihood that they will simply refrain from voting (Wakefield turnout a disappointing 39%), and that is unhealthy for democracy.

I assume that if they took this route, they'd need input from other major parties on which option. I'd expect the SNP would be asked as they are likely to hold a significant amount of seats. An election result which meant that Conservative+SNP would be in a minority would be truly staggering.

It would presumably need to be in a manifesto though, and it'll get attacked like crazy with Italy being cited every other sentence, ignoring say, Germany which has largely done quite well.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.