Can City compete with PSG money wise?

A lot of crap being talked about on this thread.

They spend very big on two or three (or four players), we spend big on ten or twelve players.

Our management decide our strategy and it’s one I agree with, but look at the full PSG squad, it’s very rare for them to have several £50m plus players on the bench whereas we do it quite often (and even did so last season with a couple more not making the bench as they were injured).

Our squad cost considerably more than theirs.

City can definitely compete with PSG for big purchase. City has just chosen not to.
PSG and City are not in the same environment. PSG needs those purchases to grow their profile. A team/club like Wolverhampton has more visibility worldwide than a club like Olympique Lyonnais, Olympique de Marseille or As Monaco.
If PSG wants to compete financially with the very best, they need those "superstars". At least, until they cement themselves as an "established" club in the mind of viewers around the world.

From that context, PSG has designed their strategy while City has followed their own strategy.

PSG is french face in Champions League football, so they get all the backing they need from Ligue 1, local media, and don't have to deal with local clubs trying to pull them down, whereas, we are deemed as the outsiders in Eng with no backing from FA and have clubs actively trying to create problems for us.

So there lies the difference imo, when we, ll sign our first 100 M player, press will make it seem like its never been done before.
You are not acquainted with french football.
There is no "french face" in Europe. Our rivals hate us and openly support whoever we face. The non rival french fans tend to celebrate when we lose in Europe because they can't beat us domestically. The few times some "support" each other is when our UEFA coefficient is in danger but not to the point to see the other go all the way.
The president of the FFF is openly throwing jab at PSG because of the Super League plans.
When we played that amateur club in french cup this year, their coach said he hoped MU would fuck us over.
Our monopolistic sport newspaper (L'Equipe) is at war with PSG and their reporters are not allowed in PSG installations.
Lyon president can't help himself but talk negatively about PSG.

It is normal though. As you gain new fans, you gain new haters.

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to this but do PSG spend more than us? Say over the last 3 years we have bought a lot of players around the £50/60 mill. Apart from Neymar and Mbappe have they made many big signings? Can’t think of many of the top of my head, think our ways better but would be interested to see spends since pep arrived compared. Well maybe not that interested or I’d do the maths myself.

I don't know the answer to this but do PSG spend more than us? Say over the last 3 years we have bought a lot of players around the £50/60 mill. Apart from Neymar and Mbappe have they made many big signings? Can’t think of many of the top of my head, think our ways better but would be interested to see spends since pep arrived compared. Well maybe not that interested or I’d do the maths myself.
You’re correct. City’s squad cost more. PSG’s signings have been fewer but more high profile. Two different ways to attempt to skin the cat. Not sure why some City fans are confused by this and think there’s something weird going on.

City does spend more.
But people don't want to hear it over here.
Just because people only talk about Neymar and Mbappé.
City spread the cost in high quality players all over the squad. Even benchwarmers can have a 30/40 M pricetag. When you look at PSG bench, most of them are free or low fee signings.

And for FFP compliance, PSG is selling players again :

Diaby for 15 M + 20 % sell on clause. Weah for 10 M + 40 % sell on clause. Nsoki soon.

City doesn't even need to sell anything. But when PSG will buy, let's say de Ligt, you'll hear people say : "WTF, FFP is useless ! PSG only buys, buys, buys. Why can't we spend that much ?"

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.