Can they ever be caught?

Blue Coop

Last Updated: 2022/23 season

Here is where City stand on the four major trophy fronts, each one just listed as far so to include Spurs, United, Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Top Division Title
Man United 20
Liverpool 19
Arsenal 13
City 9
Everton 9
Villa 7
Sunderland 6
Chelsea 6
Spurs 2

FA Cup
Arsenal 14
United 12
Spurs 8
Chelsea 8
Liverpool 8
City 7
Villa 7
Blackburn 6
Newcastle 6

League Cup
Liverpool 9
City 8
United 6
Villa 5
Chelsea 5
Spurs 4
Forest 4
Leicester 3
Arsenal 2

European Cup
Liverpool 6
United 3
Forest 2
Chelsea 2
City 1
Villa 1
Arsenal 0
Spurs 0

Total of above
Liverpool 41
United 41
Arsenal 27
City 25
Chelsea 21
Villa 20
Spurs 14

Last edited:
Some interesting names in there, especially in the first list. I was fairly unaware that Everton had been champions so many times, for instance. Of course, they did win it twice in the eighties. In this age when so many younger fans seem to think that football was invented along with satellite television and the formation of the Premier League, it’s good to be reminded of these things. For a long time in my lifetime, Villa were the record holders for the number of FA Cup wins.
As for the opening question, I can’t say I care very much. One thing for certain: if the dippers and rags can be caught, I won’t be around to see it.

Interesting discussion in the pub around whether the success of United and Liverpool in the past can ever be replicated, or whether the sport has changed too much now. Not just by City, but by anyone. What are your views?

For reference here is where City stand on the four major trophy fronts, each one just listed as far so to include Spurs, United, Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Top Division Title

Man United 20
Liverpool 18
Arsenal 13
Everton 9
Villa 7
Sunderland 6
Chelsea 6
City 4
Spurs 2

FA Cup
Arsenal 12
United 12
Spurs 8
Villa 7
Liverpool 7
Chelsea 7
Blackburn 6
Newcastle 6
City 5

League Cup
Liverpool 8
United 5
Villa 5
Chelsea 5
City 4
Spurs 4
Forest 4
Leicester 3
Arsenal 2

European Cup
Liverpool 5
United 3
Forest 2
Chelsea 1
Villa 1
City 0
Arsenal 0
Spurs 0

Total of above
United 40
Liverpool 38
Arsenal 27
Chelsea 19
Spurs 14
City 13
You’ve missed Villa off the total column. They’ve won more than us, Spurs and Chelsea.

I can't see a team ever being handed the 'advantages' that MANUre enjoyed over those years - refereeing decisions, res shitting themselves on the way back to the changing rooms at HT and FT with the GPC fuming on the side if anything 'untoward' had happened on the pitch, and nobody will have appreciably more financial muscle than other teams than the likes of the Dippers and The Swamp Donkeys. You still hear the nonsense about an FAC draw where some lowly team still wants MANUre, but I always thought it was the bigger share of the gate the FAC brought them than the 'glory' of treading The Swamp.

You’ve missed Villa off the total column. They’ve won more than us, Spurs and Chelsea.
For reference here is where City stand on the four major trophy fronts, each one just listed as far so to include Spurs, United, Liverpool, City, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Point noted but not really, the question isn’t “can we catch Villa”, that just shows where we stand compared to some of our rivals.

Point noted but not really, the question isn’t “can we catch Villa”, that just shows where we stand compared to some of our rivals.
Fair enough. Didn’t read that bit tbf. Apologies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.