Can they ever be caught?

The way these things are judged is ALWAYS about taking a snapshot at a particular time, which is why it's so absurd. Liverpool before their rise in the 70s, United before theirs in the 90s and it's a totally different picture

Right now it's City going through the phase of trophy winning. How it looks in 100 years time will be entirely different, and people will care as much about Sheikh Mansour bankrolling City as they do right now about John Henry Davies splurging with United a century ago. And at that point you'll have idiots complaining that newly wealthy Burton Albion have no history and don't deserve the Champions League unlike historically laden Manchester City who have won the league 40 times by then.

The wheel turns.

The way these things are judged is ALWAYS about taking a snapshot at a particular time, which is why it's so absurd. Liverpool before their rise in the 70s, United before theirs in the 90s and it's a totally different picture

Right now it's City going through the phase of trophy winning. How it looks in 100 years time will be entirely different, and people will care as much about Sheikh Mansour bankrolling City as they do right now about John Henry Davies splurging with United a century ago. And at that point you'll have idiots complaining that newly wealthy Burton Albion have no history and don't deserve the Champions League unlike historically laden Manchester City who have won the league 40 times by then.

The wheel turns.

40 times eh! Where's a Tardis when you need one!

Was having this conversation the with a dipper and rag the other day. It's not inconceivable that we can do it, however it is harder due to there being more competition at the top of the league now.

Look at the trophy count before Liverpool's run started in 1972.

Liverpool
League Titles: 7
FA Cup: 1
League Cup: 0
European: 0
Total: 8

Liverpool were bankrolled and when on to win; 11 league titles, 4 FA Cups, 4 League Cups and 4 European Cups (when it was easier to win, 32 teams/5 rounds and one year they won it they even got a bye and in the 60s won a QF on a coin toss) over a 20 year period, then United came along.

United
League Titles: 7
FA Cup: 3
League Cup: 0
European: 1
Total: 11

United were bankrolled and when on to win; 13 League titles, 4 FA Cups, 3 League Cups and 2 European Cups over 20 years.

City
League Titles: 2
FA Cup: 4
League Cup: 1
European: 1
Total: 8

Since 2012 we've won; 3 League titles and 4 League Cups. Win another trophy this this year and we're tracking at a trophy a season. Over 20 years we might not over take them but we might not be far off.

*I took the periods of dominance starting from the first league win kick starting the 20 year stretch.

we had 2 league cups,not 1
so total was 9

In the near future (10 years) I think we can win the league every other year on average.

So I think we'll definitely catch up, but it will take a long time.

In the near future (10 years) I think we can win the league every other year on average.

So I think we'll definitely catch up, but it will take a long time.

By far the most enjoyable part, which is already just starting to happen, is seeing the 'istry club fans starting to shit themselves as the number of league titles increases.

I couldn't give a stuff as to whether we 'catch' them or not. It's a matter of supreme indifference to me, and I'm happy to leave such micropenisology to the rags and dippers. I just want us to be the best we can be and hopefully keep winning things

Likewise.

My personal goal for the team is to get to the point of being recognised as the best in the world i.e. be worthy winners of the UCL and then World Club Championship.

If history is any guide, periods of dominance last for two decades give or take a year or two and taking 2012 as the starting point gives us plenty of scope to reel those cvnts in certainly in terms of cups won. I don’t think we can sensibly expect to get anywhere near their tallies of league titles but win this year and we have 4 in the 2010s, add 5 or 6 in the 2020s and come 2030 I’ll be a happy old man !

The wheel turns.
Yep, notts forest, Aston Villa, Huddersfield all spring to mind

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.