Can you afford to be 'Green'?

Invisible Man's Bandage

Team supported
Manchester City
There are two major changes upcoming in the not too distant future that could seriously affect your disposal income..the ban on internal combustion vehicles and current boilers for heating and hot water.

I'll concentrate on the ban on sales of gas and oil boilers in new properties in 2025. Heat pumps cost around 10k to install so the pay back rate of that will be far longer than installing a combi boiler for example. Normally you'd get the 'the technology will get cheaper' counter argument but that doesn't appear to be the case with heat pumps. They will be far more expensive to install than current options.

Are you perfectly at ease with this or are you thinking WTF (as I am)?

There is a separate discussion regarding electric vehicles as they probably will get cheaper but you will never charge one up as quick as filling a fuel tank in my lifetime.

Last edited:
You are completely wasting money if you fit heat pump technology to an old house without retro fitting the latest insulation technology.
I have just fitted a new boiler.
The ban is on boilers that burn natural gas.
My boiler can be easily converted to burn hydrogen, which will come.

Heat pumps work best with underfloor heating as well, think gas will be around forever tbh

There are two major changes upcoming in the not too distant future that could seriously affect your disposal income..the ban on internal combustion vehicles and current boilers for heating and hot water.

I'll concentrate on the ban on sales of gas and oil boilers in new properties in 2025. Heat pumps cost around 10k to install so the pay back rate of that will be far longer than installing a combi boiler for example. Normally you'd get the 'the technology will get cheaper' counter argument but that doesn't appear to be the case with heat pumps. They will be far more expensive to install than current options.

Are you perfectly at ease with this or are you thinking WTF (as I am)?

There is a separate discussion regarding electric vehicles as they probably will get cheaper but you will never charge one up as quick as filling a fuel tank in my lifetime.
I'm with you. Let's put as much CO2 into the atmosphere as possible. Those scientist guys are obviously wrong about climate change - hell Donald Trump says as much. Complete Chinese conspiracy.

Plus, if things get really bad, we can always turn off the space lasers.

I recently had to have a new boiler installed in my house, and asked about green alternatives. Apparently my garden wasn't big enough for the tanks for heat pumps, but my new boiler can be converted to hydrogen when technology catches up.
Haven't owned a car since 2003 as I live in a town centre and next to a main line railway station so walk everywhere locally, and catch the train if going further afield.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.