Can you speak more than one language?

peoffrey

Team supported
Wales
I’m looking at brushing up on my Spanish for future trips to Malaga and Buenos Aires. It’s courtesy more than anything. I also will look at Welsh when I go and live there.

Can anyone speak anything aside from English to a good level? What, how and why? Thinking about how to learn.

French.

Did O level badly in the 60s.

Picked it up properly when I got a place there 19 years ago.

I can speak it well enough now conversationally.

One of my mates sends me texts in Latin when he’s pissed; and occasionally when he’s sober and trying to impress/annoy me.

Wish I could speak a couple of languages fluently. Italian and Manderin would be nice. Always been too lazy to commit to what it takes to master another language.

Being English doesn’t help. The only place I’ve been and struggled to communicate in English was Tokyo, especially if you get remotely off the beaten track. It’s a little bit rude, I know, but I always assume wherever I go, I will be fine speaking English; and I’m nearly always right.

Immersion is everything, you'll want to be watching foreign language films with English subtitles, reading newspaper articles in the other language, etc. I did French aged 11-18 and still read online French sports newspapers.

Aside from Anglesey and in rural shops when English people walk in, does anyone still use Welsh?

I confess to once wanting to learn a bit of Irish but it costs a fair bit to learn a language that is all but dead outside of small pockets of the country.

English,Bollocks and Sarcasm.

Along with a very pitiful amount of French. Which is surprising as my ex wife is half Francais

I've studied French, Spanish and Russian. Shit at all of them. I can read these languages and get the gist, but it's conversing in them where I struggle.

The thing in Britain though is which one do you pick? To be fully fluent, the choice usually needs making at a young age when one's future isn't certain. Overseas, choosing English is a no-brainer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.