Canada

My mate here owned a store with his Newfie wife in downtown Toronto for years

then one day packed it all in and moved to a house out there that backs onto Gros morne national park. Bit of a change bye.

Yea the whole Donny Dunphy persona is Newfie humour to a tee,moving from Toronto to Newfoundland is a big culture change !!!

for those going to Banff also consider going to Jasper, but the main things to do in the summer are hiking, driving, white water rafting or canoeing, the columbia icefields-look at the glaciers. It's pretty much all about the scenery, I'm sure you could also find a nice patio with a view. Lake Louise is pretty stunning and so is that hotel.

Dont they get them dodgy chinook winds?
yeah, in the winter, love a good chinook, nothing like going from -40 to 0 in a day.

I am thinking of moving to Canada - specifically around the Vancouver area. There are job opportunities for me there

I would like to be near the city, but not living in it. Up to 25 miles

What are good areas to live in, in the suburbs? I am only aware of Surrey which seems to be a nice area. Mission is apparently not a great place and is a little further away.

I plan to visit in a few months as never been, to get a better idea

Anyone made the move? What about getting housing, food etc - what were your experiences ? Anything you would have done differently ?

My stepson moved to Calgary last June, went out to visit him in September last year, was not impressed at all, apart from the billion bars, does not seem a lot else there.. I walked into a bar on Stephen Street to watch Shaktar v City I think it was, literally one other person in the whole bar, Season ticket holder City fan, made my visit worthwhile... ;-)

It is a good location for Banff and other National Parks but not in terms of employment for ex-pats

Stepson is now upping sticks and moving to Vancouver next month, says there are lots more opportunities there

To any blues in Canada, eg @Barcon , what are the best and worst things about living in Canada you think compared to the UK

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.