Cancel Culture - does it exist?

I see loads of stuff on the topic but surely this is only a thing if the "cancelled " person accepts it? Just ignore them and carry on and you aren't cancelled - the only people who have any sort of legitimate claim are people who say/do something which affects peoples perception of them and their channel gets closed down - hence some opinionated loon posts a message on a platform that is offensive or breaches the platforms CoC - the platform then closes the channel and they get bent over the consequences - i.e. they lose an income stream because they broke the sites rules - as a result they are costing themselves income and decide to play the cancel culture card in their defence
Comedians are reluctant to play the college circuit now, for fear of being cancelled.
Publishers drop authors who have been targetted.
TV and radio drop those in the cross hairs.
Just some examples of real effects of these campaigns.

Yes, of course it does. Do some people equally exploit it as a grift? Naturally.

It's very easy to throw out an accusation or demand apologies for being offended. Much harder to actually prove any of it, and nigh on impossible to come back from it once it's stuck to you, even if you walk free at the end of it.

It's an ideological method to subvert the criminal justice system.

Irony?

I would rather use a psychological technique to deal with cancel culture.

It’s called #couldn't care less.

The natives are restless and need movements like the cancel culture or the me too. It used to be called watching Jeremy Kyle and Eastenders movement. Anything to keep the little sheep occupied and working away.

Real problems like Poverty, energy and fuel crises, cost of living, waiting list, homelessness is neatly logged on the desktop folder labelled as fuck you, sincerely BJ.

In short,It’s real and also not real. Now If anyone wants to join the #couldn’t care less movement, drop me a dm with your bank details ;)

Very true. I expect the opening post /thread to develop this way as the day goes on. There does seem to be hysteria around cancel culture, but I do think there are elements of control/suppression that want to police what we are allowed to see or be exposed to online. All well intended I'm sure, but also slightly arrogant and condescending in that it implies that people are not bright enough on the whole to make their own minds up. If this is the case, then I feel the solution is education and debate rather than censorship.

I would say that's one side to it, and probably the less relevant one.

On the one hand, what you are talking about is the arguement in defining what we as a society should or shouldn't be accepting of what is currently coming out in whatever form of cultural output.

The far bigger side of it is the en masse cancelling and calls for taking down pieces of historic heritage, because of the reference to negatives associated with them at that time. And the scale of this.

I see loads of stuff on the topic but surely this is only a thing if the "cancelled " person accepts it? Just ignore them and carry on and you aren't cancelled - the only people who have any sort of legitimate claim are people who say/do something which affects peoples perception of them and their channel gets closed down - hence some opinionated loon posts a message on a platform that is offensive or breaches the platforms CoC - the platform then closes the channel and they get bent over the consequences - i.e. they lose an income stream because they broke the sites rules - as a result they are costing themselves income and decide to play the cancel culture card in their defence
The reality is though that every platform has to have a transparent process for how it polices its terms but this almost never happens. Twitter is the best example where a former sitting US president is banned from it but the Iranian Ayatollah (who advocates genocide against Israel) and even the Kremlin who are committing war crimes in Ukraine aren't banned.

Trump should of banned from it and he was, however, there is a big question as to why the same rules aren't applied to others who have done the same or worse? The only differentiating factor I've seen is the rules are applied purely dependent on your brand of politics, the rules and terms of the platform are just used as required by people we don't know.

Cancel culture exists and is clearly shaped by identity politics and then ignorance is used in defence of this hypocrisy that exists within it.

Remember the statue protests in 2020 - not sure what was worse, the student rent-a-mobs going round tearing down random statues, or the Tommy Robinson wannabes with their "statue protection squads"

the lot of them were a load of sad bastards with nothing better to do over lockdown. Why not just learn to make sourdough and get pissed in the middle of the afternoon like the rest of us did.

Comedians are reluctant to play the college circuit now, for fear of being cancelled.
Publishers drop authors who have been targetted.
TV and radio drop those in the cross hairs.
Just some examples of real effects of these campaigns.

examples?
Comics may change their venues in which to perform but are they cancelled? Have you ever seen some of those R/W comedians who claim they are cancelled? Have you seen Andrew Lawrence's work? He isn't cancelled he just isn't funny which is why he doesn't get gigs on TV and radio these days.
Somebody raised J K Rowling - has she been dropped by her publisher? Find another more sympathetic to your views as an author.
Anyone marginalised by the media is normally a knob head - as it happens rather than be cancelled they have outlets like GB News that provides a home for Farage or Holmes.
As has also been said they long to get "cancelled" so they can moan the loudest that they have been "cancelled"

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.