Cancel Culture - does it exist?

No, other than as a vehicle for making money or an excuse for doing or saying something twattish.

The loudest voices are from those complaining they are being cancelled, which kind of sums it up really.

I think you may have missed a big chunk of the last two years mate.

Difficult, given the never ending noise from people loudly proclaiming they have been ‘silenced.’

I think people have got lost in the vocabulary, and what they think terms mean online to their own arguments they are carrying. And overlooked a reality that, judging by this thread, has gone on unnoticed in the background.

every generation tells the previous generation how shit they were, thats life.

This generation too will be doing things wrong that their kids will tell them was shit. Hopefully one of those things will be destroying history because of their politics.
Exactly. I must admit to enjoying Germain Greer and Stonewall being pilloried for bigotry after decades of telling us all what to think.

No, other than as a vehicle for making money or an excuse for doing or saying something twattish.

The loudest voices are from those complaining they are being cancelled, which kind of sums it up really.
I find the loudest voices are those complaining about those complaining or the ones who start threads knowing the direction it will take:-)
At the end of the day someone will find an opposing opinion stupid or after hearing enough opposing opinions will put it down to some Culture/group trying to influence their lives.

Only a small percentage of the population actually care. Whether that is a good or bad thing is open to debate.

Probably a loud debate with accusations of leftyism wokeness or fascism.

I think people have got lost in the vocabulary, and what they think terms mean online to their own arguments they are carrying. And overlooked a reality that, judging by this thread, has gone on unnoticed in the background.

Neither overlooked, and certainly not unnoticed. The latter would be difficult, given the adverts I keep tripping over for Piers Morgan brand new TV show where he will be railing against the evils of ‘cancel culture’. There will be a lot of loud railing, I imagine.

What do you mean does it exist?

There is the coloquialism we use in general chat as somewhat of a joke, that you are maybe referring to.

But then there is the real thing. Hundreds of statues of various historic figures have been taken down, in the US alone, and many more worldwide. A handful in the UK that I've seen claimed. Naming plaques. Streets and places renamed. TV episodes have been taken off air and some entire shows cancelled or banned. Branding changed of multiple products. There are campaigns and applications to demolish whole buildings including museums and galleries, where they are percieved to have been built on any trade involving slavery.

May have peaked, but certainly was/is a thing.
Liz Truss has an invite withdrawn because of Windrush and she claimed she had been cancelled. Yes she had, she had her invite withdrawn because of events.

As for statues, and as you mention the USA, take the statue of Nathan Bedford Forrest, a slave owning Confederate General in the American Civil War, who became the first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, does he deserve a statue, does his role in history change because his statue is removed? Of course not because history does not live in statues, it lives in stories and in books. There are no statues of Hitler in Germany, has that changed opinion of him? There is a statue of Lenin in Kharkiv has that changed opinion of him?

Maine Road, our former home was once called Temperance Street, Does that change the history of the place.

Social mores change over time, if you watched an episode of Love Thy Neighbour today, the language used at that time was socially acceptable, now it is not, in the same way we no longer speak Shakesperian English

The big question is though who do you want to decide on these matters?

Being a fully paid up, card carrying member of the FOC club, all this 21st century vocabulary (cancel culture, woke, gammon, ratio etc etc) does my head in.
I don’t understand what half the terms mean.

And I can’t be arsed finding out.

every generation tells the previous generation how shit they were, thats life.

This generation too will be doing things wrong that their kids will tell them was shit. Hopefully one of those things will be destroying history because of their politics.
There’s a song in there somewhere.
Must try and remember it whilst I’m in my living years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.