Cancel Culture - does it exist?

The problem is we all want 'our' culture to prevail and that is the main war being fought, especially in the political area. There are some who want statues of slave traders to remain because they subscribe to the lobby that there were good things about subjects like the British Empire. This isn't because they're racist but because it's a factual part of British history and so they therefore feel it's part of their cultural beliefs and identity.

This just goes back to the problem though because when we talk of the empire there are people who can't accept anything other than the empire was only a bad thing. To them because it was a bad thing we should tear down any reference to it and instead of debating they'll try to cancel, disrepute or ostracize the people who argue otherwise.

As they say there is no light without dark and how we define what's bad and good should always remain open to debate. The problem nowadays is no-one wants to debate, they want what they want and that's it. If they can't get what they want then that triggers anger and the main outlet for that is often places like Twitter or even this forum which is where it gets nasty.
The problem is nobody appears to know what "our" culture is. Ask ten people and you will get ten different answers. The culture in Manchester is different to London etc.

On statues , take the Coulston one, people had lobbied the council in a democratic fashion for years but got nowhere, took matters into their own hands and were found not guilty in court. They tried to talk and debate it and were ignored.

I quite like statues, I even like the one of Churchill and he was no angel, I like the one in Manchester of Lincoln and he has been attributed to having fascist tendencies by Confederate revisionists.

As for history, it is constantly being rewritten, every new Historical book adds or detracts from what has gone before. As evidence is uncovered and facts change it is OK to change your mind.

The problem is nobody appears to know what "our" culture is. Ask ten people and you will get ten different answers. The culture in Manchester is different to London etc.

On statues , take the Coulston one, people had lobbied the council in a democratic fashion for years but got nowhere, took matters into their own hands and were found not guilty in court. They tried to talk and debate it and were ignored.

I quite like statues, I even like the one of Churchill and he was no angel, I like the one in Manchester of Lincoln and he has been attributed to having fascist tendencies by Confederate revisionists.

As for history, it is constantly being rewritten, every new Historical book adds or detracts from what has gone before. As evidence is uncovered and facts change it is OK to change your mind.
How can you rewrite history? The fact that something happened is all that matters, our interpretation of whether it was good or not is all that has changed. It should be easy enough to recognise your opinion on something without needing to also express it and force it on others by deleting it from history.

This is like saying oh you know what I actually think those Romans were bloody nasty, let's tear down Ancient Rome and the Colosseum.

How can you rewrite history? The fact that something happened is all that matters, our interpretation of whether it was good or not is all that has changed. It should be easy enough to recognise your opinion on something without needing to also express it and force it on others by deleting it from history.

This is like saying oh you know what I actually think those Romans were bloody nasty, let's tear down Ancient Rome and the Colosseum.
I don't think it is that simple: aspects of history are being discovered that have been shielded from us for generations in order to promote the 'goodness' of our nation and its heroes. It is not necessarily that interpretation has changed but that we can now interpret what was hidden.

It was to be the right wing that banned all those songs in the 60s. "Let's spend the night Together"??? No...you can't hear that! Mary Whitehouse and her cronies, right wing Christian cronies telling us we can't listen to songs that were...not even raunchy!
We've had fucking YEARS of "cancel culture"...

There's no such thing as cancel culture now Mods can this thread be taken down and binned its an affront to my sensibilities.

To be fair, the Colosseum has seen better days.

No one is rewriting history. Events happen and are recorded as happening. The Atlantic Slave Trade happened. It is a fact. What people object to is the uncovering of other facts with regard to the slave trade that make people uncomfortable and would rather they remain covered.

The argument is not about history or facts, but sparing people’s feelings. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

Revisionism is mostly just odd behaviour and actions by people who want to make a name for themselves, in 20 years time the next generation will come after them too.

I get cancelled on the dipper thread for asking a scouser if the 39 he referred to was the amount of innocent fans the scummy dipper fans murdered
Does that count as cancel culture?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.