Cannot install anything on windows 10 - Laptop

Cityisland

Hi all,

Hope someone can help.

I am unable to install anything on my Laptop. Tried chrome and downloading MacAfee having activated my years subscription that came with it.

Had the thing for a couple of months.

Every time try and install something it tells me there is a network problem or cant connect.

Can browse, watch city matches on Microsoft edge absolutely fine.

Also wont connect to steam anymore or open tor browser.

have not dicked around with any settings. Was working fine a few weeks ago.

Please help.

Since i went for windows 10 on my backup computer it has been a right pain,everytime it does updates it messes around with everything
Will not recognise Adblocker although its enabled,worse decision i ever made upgrading from windows8

Well this sounds strange, you can use certain protocols but not others and download some stuff but not others.
Can you use online virus scanners like https://www.f-secure.com/en_GB/web/home_gb/online-scanner ?

Only time i have seen similar issues was a virus that had a blocklist of a load of security tools and disabled whatever was installed.
So you could not download any installers from most sources, had to rename stuff etc for it to trick the virus to allow AV scanners to run.

Hi all,

Hope someone can help.

I am unable to install anything on my Laptop. Tried chrome and downloading MacAfee having activated my years subscription that came with it.

Had the thing for a couple of months.

Every time try and install something it tells me there is a network problem or cant connect.

Can browse, watch city matches on Microsoft edge absolutely fine.

Also wont connect to steam anymore or open tor browser.

have not dicked around with any settings. Was working fine a few weeks ago.

Please help.
If you've got the installer file on your laptop try right clicking and choose the 'install as administrator' option. If it works it must be a permission issue.

Have you ever installed anything on this laptop? If so, when did your problems crop up? What did you install right before it happened?

Edit: I came across this which although for Win 8 has some good suggestions.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2013/aug/29/what-blocking-file-downloads-windows-8

Have you tried a different browser BTW?

(now I've got to figure out why Chrome has stopped working entirely this morning on my Win 10 :( )

Last edited by a moderator:
If you've got the installer file on your laptop try right clicking and choose the 'install as administrator' option. If it works it must be a permission issue.

Have you ever installed anything on this laptop? If so, when did your problems crop up? What did you install right before it happened?

Edit: I came across this which although for Win 8 has some good suggestions.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2013/aug/29/what-blocking-file-downloads-windows-8

Have you tried a different browser BTW?

(now I've got to figure out why Chrome has stopped working entirely this morning on my Win 10 :( )

Ive sorted it. Seems that I had a virus of some description. Used a system restore point and boom! works fine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.