Car Advice / Cracked Head Gasket

johnnytapia

As the title implies, looks like head gasket may be cracked on my car. Twice it emptied the coolant and I had to tickle it home with all the warning lights ablaze. Thankfully was close to home both times. Garage initially thought it might be leak on water pump so had that replaced but same thing happened again (coolant emptied, temp rocketed up) and I managed to get it home. It's only done 42k miles, 12 years old, Ford Focus.
Same garage have quoted me £850 - £950 to have head gasket and all other relevant parts changed. Biggest cost is the labour of course as I appreciate it's not a quick fix.
My knowledge of cars is non-existent so absolutely no idea what I should be looking at in terms of cost, future reliability (ie if I stump up a grand, will that do the trick for a good few more years - don't want to be throwing good money after bad etc).
Is there some sort of compression test a garage can do to identify where exactly the problem is?
Anyone recommend a garage that could give me a quote - I'm in Stockport.
I'm tempted to go main dealer route, given it's a relatively big job, but know I'll pay main dealer premium - would rather do that though and know it's being done properly.
Any and all advice greatly appreciated. Ta JT

I'm sure once the cylinder head gasket goes it's curtains, always remember my dad when I first started driving saying make sure you keep the water topped up correctly once the head gasket goes your fucked.
I'd Google cracked head gasket and see what it throws up.

If it is the head gasket the repair will be more than the car's value. Scrap it don't waste your money

One sign, among others, of a cracked gasket is that the radiator has a sort of a foamy brown mixture, oil+coolant. Check the radiator, you might have a leaking pipe.

Head gasket is usually circa a grand.
Main dealer will charge main dealer labour charges, which can be astronomical.

I have used a small garage in Bury for years to do our work. I knew the dads working it and now it’s their sons. But Bury is a bit of a drag to get to for you.

Happened to me twice as well, on a Peugeot and a Chrysler. Both, it seems, were renowned for having head gasket issues!

Knowing absolutely nothing about cars I had a quick google for 12 year old Ford Focus's and got results ranging from 4.5 grand and 7 grand. On the face of it paying 800 quid for it to be fixed is good sense no?

The gasket is the seal between the head and the body. Shouldn't be too big a job. If the cylinder head has cracked it's possibly a known fault:

FORD FOCUS ( 02/06/2010 – 20/12/2014) DEFECT: Localized overheating of the engine cylinder head may cause the cylinder head to crack.This may cause a pressurized oil leak which in extreme circumstances could result in a fire in the engine compartment.

As the title implies, looks like head gasket may be cracked on my car. Twice it emptied the coolant and I had to tickle it home with all the warning lights ablaze. Thankfully was close to home both times. Garage initially thought it might be leak on water pump so had that replaced but same thing happened again (coolant emptied, temp rocketed up) and I managed to get it home. It's only done 42k miles, 12 years old, Ford Focus.
Same garage have quoted me £850 - £950 to have head gasket and all other relevant parts changed. Biggest cost is the labour of course as I appreciate it's not a quick fix.
My knowledge of cars is non-existent so absolutely no idea what I should be looking at in terms of cost, future reliability (ie if I stump up a grand, will that do the trick for a good few more years - don't want to be throwing good money after bad etc).
Is there some sort of compression test a garage can do to identify where exactly the problem is?
Anyone recommend a garage that could give me a quote - I'm in Stockport.
I'm tempted to go main dealer route, given it's a relatively big job, but know I'll pay main dealer premium - would rather do that though and know it's being done properly.
Any and all advice greatly appreciated. Ta JT
If your certain it's head gasket put some k seal in radiator which will temp fix then part ex

Obvious sign of head gasket leaking will be foam or sludge in engine. Lift oil filler cap and look at it to see if there is any goam/sludge sticking to it.

Yes, a pressure test can be done of the cooling system. Uses a modified radiator cap and compressed air injected in. Possible then to hear air escaping or see water leaks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.