car battery help

Can anyone offer any advice . I have a Ssangyong turismo .. auto diesel. The battery is going flat anytime it’s left for a couple of days. It seems the car was stood in a showroom through lockdown before I bought it. Could it be that being left totally flat for 6 months or more has fucked the battery?
How long of a drive does it get before it is left for a couple of days? If the battery is pooched and you don't drive it far enough to charge it back up it will just drain.
Something similar was happening to me and I bought one of these. It has repaired the battery and is no longer happening.

https://no.co/genius5

Alternator.

The AA/RAC will be able to diagnose it and it's a pretty easy/common job to do on most cars.

Same happened to me a few years ago and it cost me about 300 quid inc labour on a BMW Z4.

Ah. I see this is a two year old thread lol.

Can anyone offer any advice . I have a Ssangyong turismo .. auto diesel. The battery is going flat anytime it’s left for a couple of days. It seems the car was stood in a showroom through lockdown before I bought it. Could it be that being left totally flat for 6 months or more has fucked the battery?
Completely draining a car battery can damage it yes - and after being left standing for 6 months it's almost certainly knackered. Nobody at the dealership thought to leave it on a trickle charge or take it out on a run once a month?!?

How long of a drive does it get before it is left for a couple of days? If the battery is pooched and you don't drive it far enough to charge it back up it will just drain.
Something similar was happening to me and I bought one of these. It has repaired the battery and is no longer happening.

https://no.co/genius5
It’s 4/5 days to drain it. I have one of those gizmos you said in my Amazon cart lol. I have booked the bastard in at Halfords to check the battery and alternator. Needs sorting doing my head in. Thanks

How do you start it when this happens? Do you charge the battery overnight or just jump start it with a battery pack and then drive it for a bit?

The fact your battery holds any charge is a sign it’s not entirely fucked. When the battery is drained for an extended period of time it can absolutely ruin them but usually they won’t hold enough charge to crank the engine even after you’ve charged them all night.

I’d suggest:

If you don’t charge it overnight but jump it then drive it a bit then get it on a charge overnight.

If you do already charge it overnight then it’s likely the battery is fairly knackered - or you’ve got an electrical fault somewhere that’s draining it - you want to hope it just the battery being knackered as the other might cost a fair few quid to figure out - and battery being knackered would be the most common cause.

Completely draining a car battery can damage it yes - and after being left standing for 6 months it's almost certainly knackered. Nobody at the dealership thought to leave it on a trickle charge or take it out on a run once a month?!?
I am guessing they didn’t… it’s only a guess though because the battery looks fairly new.

How do you start it when this happens? Do you charge the battery overnight or just jump start it with a battery pack and then drive it for a bit?

The fact your battery holds any charge is a sign it’s not entirely fucked. When the battery is drained for an extended period of time it can absolutely ruin them but usually they won’t hold enough charge to crank the engine even after you’ve charged them all night.

I’d suggest:

If you don’t charge it overnight but jump it then drive it a bit then get it on a charge overnight.

If you do already charge it overnight then it’s likely the battery is fairly knackered - or you’ve got an electrical fault somewhere that’s draining it - you want to hope it just the battery being knackered as the other might cost a fair few quid to figure out - and battery being knackered would be the most common cause.
I usually just bung the charger on.. then drive it for 20 mins or longer. Then it’s ok until I don’t use it for 4/5 days and ….click totally flat.

I usually just bung the charger on.. then drive it for 20 mins or longer. Then it’s ok until I don’t use it for 4/5 days and ….click totally flat.
Probably needs more like two hours free running, not stuck in traffic, with as much as possible turned off.

How long to you leave it charging? You want to probably leave it on overnight for 10-12 hours to be sure it’s fully charged. It’s probably going to be the battery needing replacing from what you’re saying. It won’t be the alternator unless you have the battery light on when you’re driving.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.