Car fix advice (or best forums to do so).

somapop

Had a window regulator to fix on a VW Touran (had help from a neighbour who has always taken cars apart...I rarely delve into this).
I've ordered a window regulator kit (essentially a retainer clip with two cables and a spool) and after hours of struggling we managed to refit (the old cable had shredded and the plastic retainer clip had broken).
Unfortunately we can't find the right method of spoiling the cables back on...it's guesswork (and a royal headache) and if fitted incorrectly it could potentially shred the new cable too.

Found a few good vids online demonstrating how to replace the regulator (and take the door card and panels off) but nothing specific to the cable and spool from the kit.

I've posted on Honest John but the VW forums (and other car mechanic sites) seem dead these days with very little traffic.

Anyone know of a still busy site (or better still....a solution to the above from any mechanics on here?).

This is the kit (with the full regulator below):

thumb

71Rgc0wURVL._AC_SX569_.jpg

Cheers!

Thanks....tried Pistonheads and Honest John and a couple of VW forums (very quiet) but these look much busier (not quite sure how I missed these).

I'll try these - thanks mate!

Here’s a replacement on a Toureg

From 12:30

The spool and spring setup that he’s got a white tie wrap around looks similar

I think he might miss the bit out that you want though, looks like he ducked out on it but maybe you can pick something up.

Looks like a pain in the arse to me.

Oh, there is a Touran Haynes manual, dunno if it covers your model

First side windows are a bastard, don't lose your patience or you'll need to buy a new one.
Second get it working before you put the glass in (see point 1)

The window will slide up and down on the metal rod on the right of your first picture. The white plastic bit in the picture below holds the glass. In your kit it's the black bit, but you might get away with using the original.

61JfoSbizFL._AC_SL1451_.jpg

When the window is down the holder will be at the bottom so the bottom wire should be fully wound on the spool,
Do that first. Connect the end of the bottom wire onto the window holder. If you have to "wind up the window" a little to let out some wire. Then wind it back down to check that the holder goes all the way to the bottom position.

Then connect the top wire to the spool, but not the window holder. Wind the window up, and pull the window holder up at the same time. This will wind the top wire onto the spool and unwind the bottom wire.
When the window holder is at the top, connect the top wire to the holder - it will be tight when connected, so it might take a bit of muscle.
Once the top wire is on, wind the window hoilder up and down to check the end positions.

Refit the regulator to the door. Then all you have to do is get the glass back in!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.