Caravanning

bumbleblue

Does anyone have a caravan? I am thinking of replacing my camper . I am a bit wary of towing and thought I would see if any one here has any experience or wisdom to pass on.

Not now , but I used to have one , I didnt enjoy towing so left mine stored at my favourite site Lakeside ,Bielby in Pocklington ,near York ,adults only ,very very lovley peaceful site ,charged around £300 pa to store ,they charge £5 to tow it out and drop the legs .

My neighbour has one of these and it's mint. Tows it with a fiat 500 4x4
2016-eriba-triton-430-gt-for-sale-norfolk-eriba-shop.jpg

First things first - does your licence entitle you to tow? If you passed your test before 1997 you should be ok. Then consider what size caravan, just 2 of you or kids etc. Then you’ll need a car that’s capable of towing it. As a rule of thumb the caravan (loaded) shouldn’t exceed 85% of the cars kerbweight although it’s a grey area. Then awning, gas bottles, waste etc....
I could go on ;)

Did it for a few years and the towing part was pretty therapeutic for me.. I used to be an impatient angry driver but towing the van allowed me to take my time and enjoy the journey. I also enjoyed the fact that you felt at home the moment you parked up.

We only sold the van when we downsized the house as our super cheap storage on a local RAF camp was too far away to make it work... We're now thinking about a camper actually

My driving has calmed as I have got a little older.. so much so that I have just ordered a BMW i3s EV for my next company car. A tax evasion tactic mainly as I am in the pay double taxation category but I am looking forward to learning a new way to drive economically and plan journeys

Regarding towing, I had an HGV 1 licence and drove all sorts of vehicles in the RAF as I was a mechanic but if in doubt watch a few youtube vids and if really necessary take a course... I personally think that anybody with an ounce of common sense and a decent amount of driving experience can tow without formal training

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/advice-and-training/training-courses/
I had a caravan for 5 years and loved it until misery decided we were to get a static, which is also fine tbf.
Get yourself on a towing course and go and see some of the lovely sites around the British Isles.
Also consider where you are going to store it.
I used to store mine on the Furys site near Warrington which was ideal for the M6, M56 etc.
Once you have found a site you like, then you could consider maybe parking it up on that site.
Once you get into the swing of things, it’s a great hobby imo.

What camper do you have mate, I’m looking in next few years to get one, VW T5 probably then I can take the little one away for the school holidays.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.