Care home - financial advice

This has been a very sad and informative read for myself. I have this looming large with my mother having it for the past three years. Thankfully it has been quite slow. But my Dad has started showing signs also. They both live in Anglesey and as i live in Oxfordshire i will be looking to move back north later this year. Hopefully not too late before it comes to ahead. Best wishes to the op and thanks for the advice which hopefully might help me out in the coming months.

This has been a very sad and informative read for myself. I have this looming large with my mother having it for the past three years. Thankfully it has been quite slow. But my Dad has started showing signs also. They both live in Anglesey and as i live in Oxfordshire i will be looking to move back north later this year. Hopefully not too late before it comes to ahead. Best wishes to the op and thanks for the advice which hopefully might help me out in the coming months.
Get as much help and info from all areas while you can in preparation, you will be far better once you have but it wont be easy.

And they can go back seven years as a rule of thumb or, technically, as far as they want if they think there’s something suspicious.
I think anything earlier than 7 years then they are trying it on. Best to plan ahead as I mentioned.

We did something similar when my mum was diagnosed with vascular dementia. She had a decent pension plus state pension but her house was part of her deceased husbands childrens estate. Took advice from her doctor, her solicitor and bank manager and basically rinsed her accounts ( savings and stocks and shares ) and liberated cash as gifts and ' shopping ', we had to do it before she progressed further with the desease so as to not look suspicious to the council. I hated doing it as I felt we were taking from mum and should she go into care, any costs for care home...I explained to her at every stage what we were doing, even though I knew it wasn't sinking in but as her son and having POA it was all I could do. Her answer to it was that it would be yours and your sisters anyway so deal with it now.....Care homes for dementia patients are a bit scarce round here so we had the full package and care allowance for her, I didn't want her to go into care if I could avoid it. Previously we had lived in Spain and I was flying back every 7 - 10 days for shopping and generally sorting things out until we moved to within 150 yds away of her. She passed away in the comfort of her own home and her ashes, together with my step dads, were sprinkled in the brook next to her house.
A truly horrible desease
Sorry to hear of you loss, it looks like you did everything you could to make her final years the best you could.

We've been told her mum could be free from isolating as early as Thursday and can move anytime from then. My partner explained we have applied for power of attorney but not been confirmed yet. Social services said as don't have access to her finances yet a care plan will be put in place and she could end up anywhere in south west England. We live near Sutton and have contacted over a dozen homes trying to find a room but all on lockdown or full. My partner terrified of what the next 3 or 4 days holds. The home she's currently in about 3 miles away but easily accessible by bus so her husband who's in his 80s can visit once she's out of isolation

That does not sound quite right social services should listen to what you have to say ! I’m not sure if they can do it and send her down south.

A care plan would surely take some time to put in place I think I would ask to see her records and put it in writing what it would mean for your mother in law if they carry out the threat to send her away even though you have told the SSv you have applied for a POA.
It sounds really tough for your wife worrying about it all hope you get it sorted soon. Citizens Advice might know more.

Reactions: ob
as posted earlier would advise you contact these people.

my personal experience of citizens advice when we needed advice about the mother in law is that they are as much use as a chocolate fireguard just referring you on to other sites like the one I link to.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.