Careful if you buy a used Porsche

Bill Walker

Team supported
City
Dont lose the key.

This poor bastard did and Porsche want $11051.45 to fit a new immobiliser system (about the value of his 2005 Cayenne).
Porsche says the immobiliser was enabled at the time the key was stolen and the immobiliser code was tried and failed. It says a new immobiliser code is required before a new key can be programmed.

Enough to drive you up the wall !

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...y/news-story/59651c9aa15c9b594bc5b59b1a8bd9fb

Last edited:
Albeit they are rather taking the piss with that, it is a truth that an expensive car doesn't stop being expensive just because you've bought it second hand, no matter what the price you paid might be.

I know only a few people with expensive cars and all of them bought it new, and everybody of them have an extra couple of tens of thousands dollars for repairs. So maybe it's better to say not only: don't lose the key, but also: don't buy the cars of expensive brands in secon hand.

Dont lose the key.

This poor bastard did and Porsche want $11051.45 to fit a new immobiliser system (about the value of his 2005 Cayenne).
Porsche says the immobiliser was enabled at the time the key was stolen and the immobiliser code was tried and failed. It says a new immobiliser code is required before a new key can be programmed.

Enough to drive you up the wall !

https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.a...y/news-story/59651c9aa15c9b594bc5b59b1a8bd9fb
Do you actually pay money for this publication?

I somehow was able to bypass the paywall

Interesting article, not sure what I think of it. At least Porsche offered to refund the $865 for additional key that is effectively useless without the immobilizer but as another poster mentions, Porsche is going to have inherent repair/replacement costs that will not depreciate like the car's value. Still, ouch. I have long romanticized the idea of trying to rebuild or tinker on an old 911 but figured it'd be too costly even if a cheap wreck was available to work on

I had to get a new keycard key for Mrs JASR Renault Espace.

Had to go to Dealer, via a booking as expected, and hand over (falling apart) keycard.
What I didn’t expect was that the programming had to be done via headquarters in France - ie the internet.
Walked in, saw lots of flustered people, said why I was there, and they said, they had issues with their internet connection going up and down - nothing could get booked, nothing could be looked up for service ( manuals etc) , and, for me, if the internet went down mid re-programming, then the keycard would be useless AND the car!
I declined to chance it, and had to come back the next week, after confirming they had a solid internet connection!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.