Carragher analysis of our backline v Stoke

I wonder if anyone will have shown this to the back 4 or gone through it themselves in their own words with them? ...

He's spot on about the tired 'lazy' defending - Sagan and mdm have played too much football already though this season and at their age, it's showing

Absolutely spot on, not just lazy defending at the back , defending starts from the front in good teams. Ours starts with the keeper

Can't argue with that analysis. Time to give maffeo a chance, recall Denayer if that's possible and invest in January both right and left full backs.

If he didn't use the words "wank" "shit" or "laughable" then his punditry skills are as good as said back four.

Earlier in the game Sagna had made a run half or third the length of the pitch, against Erik Pieters I think it was, and beat him for pace. So it's more about the number of times the older players have to run that shows them up - keep possession in the middle or up front and they do less running, obviously. You see this in 100M sprinters who can still compete at the very top well into their 30s.

The issue we have is that our system relies on possession and intelligence in the defensive midfield, of which we are doing neither at the minute.

Agree with the vast majority of that. I don't agree with his verdict on Otamendi, which he seems to hint at being a season long problem (i.e - he's shit). Also don't agree that we're going to have to spend the same numbers in the summer on the defence when we Denayer to come in. Fullbacks are a problem, unsure of Maffeo and Angelo are ready. Be interesting to see what our next manager does with it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.